Thursday, May 14, 2009

If all men had been, and were, and ever would be....

Yesterday the greatest man I know passed from this life into the next. My grandpa Willis. We were so lucky to have him with us as long as we did. It seems death has been knocking on his doorstep for so many years now.....and yet I was at least able to let my little boy sit on his lap for a while. I didn't know it would be the last time.
This picture was taken for our family reunion we had in Missouri in 2007. Melissa and I decided we were going to pack up our boys, and all our luggage, baby food, and take the long and crazy trip to Missouri to see Grandma and Grandpa. Our husbands couldn't come, so it was just the two of us and our 3 boys. I am so glad we took that trip to see Grandpa.
I want you all to know something. The Willis family has kinda a unique tradition. Whenever we all get together, we have a Hawiian Luau. This is because the last time the entire Willis family was together, was when they lived in Hawaii. It was then that the oldest brother, Gary, died on his mission. I always knew we had a luau at Willis family gatherings, but it wasn't until the last one, that Grandma actually explained why it's so significant. This last picture is at the luau we had for the reunion in 07. If you look closely, you'll see Grandpa's red nose, and quivered chin. He's crying. This picture was taken when my mom and her sisters were singing a song they'd written about Grandma.
The last thing I want you to know, is that most of my memories of Grandpa are of laughing, singing, or story-telling. Espeically when he played his harmonica. But the last 2 times I went to Missouri, I experienced something that is very close to my heart. A soft side to Grandpa I always knew was there, but had never seen.
The first time was when we were watching "The Notebook." He sat and watched that entire movie with us, and of course (like ANYONE who watches that movie) at the end he was sobbing. But it does something to you, when I saw that man crying. Being touched by the love of two people so strong, that no even death could break it. The second time was for this trip you see pictured above. However, there's another experience BESIDES the one in this picture. This trip was in the summer, and a few months ago, Melissa and I had made a CD for dad filled with songs that we play on the piano (because we're not home to play dad's piano anymore, and he misses it). Well, I didn't know it, but dad brought that CD with him to Missouri to show to Grandma and Grandpa. One song that Melissa recorded on that CD was the piano part to "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables. When dad showed Grandpa this song, he started to sing along with the music. My father has a beautiful voice. And I watched Grandpa as he held Grandma's hand, and then watched the tears flow from his eyes at the beauty of this song.
This memory is very bright in my mind, and when dad told me he was asked to sing at Grandpa's funeral, my mind immediately went to this moment. As it turns out, that's what everybody else was thinking too. So next Thursday, my father will be singing, "Bring Him Home" (accompanied by me...and a faithful page-turner when my eyes blur too bad to read the music) at Grandpa's funeral.
I am so grateful that I was able to know my Grandpa. He truly was an amazing man. The best I've ever known. And that scripture, that talks about how if all men had been, and were, and ever wouuld be like unto Moroni..... I know that my Grandfather was a man like that. And I can't wait to see him again in Heaven.

5 comments:

Jill and Travis said...

I am sorry to here about your grandpa's passing, Heather. I appreciate you sharing some memories and a little bit about him. It sounds like he was (is) truly an amazing person and will continue his work on the other side. What a blessing it is that you were able to take Caleb to see him at least once! Travel safe next week.

Brody and Ashley said...

Aren't GRANDPAS (and Grandmas)the BEST. I was so thankful to get to know both of my Grandpa's. They are on my Hero List. Our heart goes out to you and your family Heather. One thing I love about the Gospel is that WE WILL SEE THEM AGAIN!!!!. I Can't wait for that day. I cry every time I think about it. We are sooo lucky to have these MEN in our lives. We love you guys and miss you too.

Chelsi said...

It's never easy to lose someone close to you, especially grandparents. Sounds like a great man. I hope the funeral is special for everyone.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Just when I thought I was done crying. That was beautiful heather.

Ted said...

Heather, Ted and I were so sorry to hear of the passing of your sweet grandpa. You have such a close family and I know this is hard. Always remember the good times you had with him and it will sustain you through this hard time. We love you and pray that you and your family will be comforted. Be safe driving. Love, Ted and Jo