Sunday, November 29, 2009

Under Construction......

Ever since we closed on the house, we've been spending every spare minute over there trying to get it updated how we want it. I don't know if you'll remember the video I posted before, but I thought you guys might want to see how much we've changed already in one week.
#1. PAINT! We picked a pretty bold shade of gray to go in the main living room and dining room. It scared the crap out of me as we were painting it....I kept asking, "Is this too dark?" But once the tape came off, and the faceplates went back on....I couldn't help but love it.
#2. New Lights! There were some pathetic light fixtures in that house, with even weaker bulbs. Parker put those lights in on the first day, because we couldn't stand to be in the dark another day. We replaced the ugly stained-glass upside-down bowl that was in the dining room, for a pretty brushed-nickel 6-bulb fixture. TONS MORE LIGHT!
#3. Blinds. All the windows had ugly, smelly, sun-bleached lace curtains. Ick. We seriously considered special-ordering some blackout blinds (my parents have them and I love them) but at the last minute we found some feaux-wood white blinds that look really good, and they were already in-stock at Lowe's. MUCH CHEAPER. The only one we have to order is the master bedroom. For some reason they don't make them in that size.
#4. New microwave. We found a black-friday ad for an over-the-range microwave for 98 dollars, and then a 30 dollar rebate. So Parker got up and faced the crowds. We decided that the counter-space that we'll save is worth quite a bit as well. And the kitchen looks tons better with the microwave installed.
#5. Cabinet Lighting. Parker found some cabinet lights for 30 dollars! They totally change the way your kitchen looks. And since the kitchen was kinda the eye-sore of the house.....we decided that anything that can help....we'll do it. The wost part about the kitchen is those blue countertops. But it's just too expensive to replace them at this time. So we're trying our best to make everything else around it look good.
#6. A little elbow-grease. The oven and stove were completely DISGUSTING! Yesterday I spent over an hour scrubbing off the burner catch-trays and all the stuff that was underneath them. The bathrooms need a good scrubbing as well.....but I think I'll wait until RIGHT before we move in.
#7. Floors. Now the floors go in tomorrow. We have new wood vinyl floors that my uncle was clearancing out at Lowe's....so we bought 'em up. They're gonna brighten up the kitchen and dining area a TON!
#8. Carpet. You see how the nasty blue carpet goes with NOTHING, except maybe the nasty blue countertops. The carpet comes out on Tuesday, and the new stuff goes in Wednesday morning. After that.....it's time to move in!! I already feel like this house is our home. The apartment still has all our stuff in it, but it's just where we sleep at night. I'm so excited to move into our new place! Here's a video of how things looked yesterday.

5 comments:

Chelsi said...

Looking good! Nice work ;)

Melinda said...

Looks awesome!! I LOVE your cabinet lights...where did you get them? We are trying to find some for our kitchen too.....

Good luck with everything. And, congrats on the house! It looks great.

Anna Beal said...

So exciting! I can't wait to see it!

Tom and Emily said...

Looks great you guys!!

Anna Beal said...

Are you going to post more pics soon?