Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Corporate Parker

I've neglected the blog lately. I just haven't had much to say. But I decided we at least need a journal entry to keep things up-to-date. Some things that have been going on:

1. We finally got callings! 7 months in the ward....and we're glad to serve. I am a relief society teacher. I teach the lesson once a month. Nice. I can handle that. They originally wanted me in Young Womens (which I would have LOVED!) but they called Parker to Young Mens....and since we have little kids, we couldn't both be with the youth.....it's too hard. So a month ago I had substituted and taught the lesson for someone else.....the next week I got the calling to just go ahead and keep on doing it.

2. Parker's little sister, Katelyn, got engaged last weekend. The wedding is in January. She's getting married to a guy named Jared Wright. He's in the army, and he's getting deployed 6 months after they tie the knot. We're so happy for these two....and our prayers go out to them in hopes that they can be strong when he goes to Afganistan.

3. Angie is ROLLING. Everywhere. And somehow she manages to ge her hands on things I didn't even think she could reach. This I think I've mentioned already...but she's also VERY close to sitting up. I'd say she's DAYS away.

4. Caleb turned four. My baby boy!! Four years old! I am amazed at how big he is every time I look at him. He's TOTALLY into Transformers right now. It's his favorite movie. He watches it pretty much every day. So for his birthday, we couldn't think of anything to get him besides Transformers. We got him Optimus Prime (for ages 5 and up....by the way YEAH RIGHT! No five year old could figure out that toy. It took Parker 2 hours to transform the robot into a truck....and that was by watching a YouTube video that demonstrated how to do it!) Caleb really likes it, but of course he has to ask his daddy to change it to and from truck/robot mode. He also got bumblebee (ages 3 and up.....much easier....he likes that one a lot). And Rampage (a bad guy). He likes that one too.

Caleb was also sick with a fever on his birthday (I was too). So we didn't have much of a party, cuz we couldn't invite other kids and get them sick. So it was just mom and dad, and Grandma and Grandpa Lyons came over. But that's allright. When I asked him what kind of cake he wanted, he said "Cupcakes!" So....I made cupcakes as well as a birthday cake.

5. We bought airplane tickes to fly our family out to Las Vegas next week. We're going to spend the entire week with Robyn and John. We are VERY excited since we haven't been out there for over 3 years. Yes we're crazy to go to Vegas in the middle of August...it's going to be SOOO hot. But flights were cheap....and I have a week's vacation that I HAVE to use before the end of the year....or it's gone. So we're going. And we're pretty excited about it too.

5. (This one's a biggie). A few months ago Parker had applied for a bunch of jobs....one he was particularly excited for was at Idaho Central Credit Union as a financial officer. He had lots of promising interviews.....but they never offered him the job. He'd also applied for a spot at CSI in Burley (extended campus), and a HR position at Cactus Pete's in Jackpot. Never heard much from any of them. Then a couple weeks ago he got a call from Cactus Pete's. They said they wanted to interview him for the Human Resource Coordinator position they'd just created. So he had some interviews. (this was so out of the blue.....they called like 4 months later!) The following Tuesday (last week) they called him back and offered him the job!

PARKER GOT A JOB! It's a full-time salary position, including health, dental and optical benefits, as well as 401K after 90 days. They also offter 90% tuition reimbursement! This means Parker can finish his Human Resources degree and we won''t need to take out any more student loans! (at least not very much!) AND paid lunches every day! And guess what? It's GOOD food too! It's the same stuff they serve at the Buffet! The starting salary is fair....but the good thing is that there are tons of opportunities for advancement. They can do merrit salary increases at any time. And he gets bonuses (GOOD bonuses) if he does REALLY well....up to 10% of his salary. His boss told him he'd been there for about 5 years....and he'd already DOUBLED his salary. Parker is a hard worker, and fits this position very well. With his Spanish degree, and his Human Resource experience back in Pocatello.....he was a shoe-in. And they were impressed with him. The health insurance he will be getting will cost us HALF what we are paying right now.....and the coverage is MILES better. (Oh PS our health coverage right now is absalutely REDICULOUS!! Crappiest insurance I've ever heard of). I am just so grateful!

He started his first day yesterday. And he's really enjoying it. We've had to spend a little money and get him some more collar shirts and ties, new shoes and some more slacks. So now he's lookin like a high and mighty business man. I am just so proud of him. And I'm SOOO grateful that he DIDN'T get that job at the Credit Union. He'd be traveling FARTHER and making less money.....I really feel like this is a miracle.

This also means that we are in pay-off-debt mode. Living in a home that we can afford with only MY income means that with both of us working.....we'll have all debts and student loans paid off in 5 years. And when that time comes, I will be cutting back to part-time. one or 2 days a week.

Down side yes.....there's always something. My kids will no longer be at home with their daddy every day. We have to send them to day care. I've already shed my tears over this fact. It is such a hard thing to do.....and even more hard because I always SWORE to myself that I would never put my kids in daycare. Life just hasn't happened that way for us. But one bright side.....our primary president lost her job this summer, and as a result she will be starting a daycare in HER home. Small. 6 kids at one time max. Caleb knows her from primary....and it's somebody I trust. We haven't always been so lucky in that department either. So once again, I'm grateful.

We have so many things to be thankful for right now. I feel so blessed.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Wahoo for trips to Vegas! I'm excited to see you guys! We don't get to see much family living way out here, and it's always so fun when we DO get to see someone.

Also wahoo for Parker's job! That's awesome.