Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Day of REST

Well. If Sunday is to TRULY be a day of rest. It seems that things will result as follows: This is Angie on her 4th meal today. Please notice the plethera of chicken nuggets un her tray that she's NOT eating. And also the MESS on the floor surrounding her chair. The mess is mostly attempts at mealtime entertainment (for the purpose of distraction in hopes that she'll ACTUALLY take a bite....) coupled with the food that was ONCE on her tray. This particular picture, there's only a few green beans and a corner of a piece of bread. Usually it's much worse. This is the Table to the left of Angie's high chair. It's filled with the rejected attempts at feeding her. Cottage cheese. bread. beans. juice. and a plate and knife where the chicken nuggets once were.
And Caleb with his plate full of food as well. After a nice walk to the park- upon arriving home the whining begins. I'm hungry. I'm cold. My leg hurts. My head hurts. I can't eat. I'm thirsty. In his defense....he DID eat. After I spooned the mouthfuls INTO his mouth myself.


Here is what happens to the HOUSE when I decide to have a day of "rest." Church is at 9:00 so the living room is full of towels from early morning baths before church. And the jammies that were thrown carelessly onto the floor as we hurried to get ready before missing sacrament. Also a blanket, because I decided that AFTER church I was taking a nap while Angie slept instead of picking up the morning mess. Also the toys used for entertainment while I snoozed. Jackets and shoes from the walk AFTER the nap because you just can't pass up a semi-nice-weather day.
And the baskets full of CLEAN laundry that STILL aren't folded because that was what I was supposed to do LAST NIGHT until I realized I was teaching the lesson the following morning. At least they're clean right?

The camping gear from Friday night because Dad and Caleb decided to have a camp-out in the living room. (which was fun for them by the way).

And the kitchen. A day of rest means I shouldn't have to cook. And I didn't. But the sink is full of short-order meals like chicken nuggets and ranch dressing. The counter actually looks pretty good. The papers on the counter are from the last-minute tithing calculation as we run out the door.


The bedroom. Unmade bed piled with the church clothes that never made it back into the closet. And pajamas from this morning. And also notice the diaper on the floor. They're everywhere. :) REality folks.




My dresser. Now THIS I promise does not always look like this. my dresser is full of makeup, and golf hats jewelry, and clothes that need to be taken to the DI.



And the utensil drawer. It doesn't have child locks. And Angie loves them. There are ALWAYS utensils on the floor. And hot pads (which is what she's getting into in this picture). In this photo there are only 3 utensils on the floor. That's good by the way. And do you have to even wonder? Of course I don't wash them before putting them back. I do enough dishes allready. I wouldn't trust a SINGLE utensil in those drawers to be clean. But we use them. :) And we're not dead yet.



A day of rest means I've left it all alone. I got a nap. And a walk to the park. I gave a good lesson in church. The kids are fed. And I didn't cook. I want you to know....it WAS a day of rest. And it WAS a nice day. And I've decided that sometimes I just need to let it go. I'll pick it up after they go to bed. Which hopefully will be soon since I let them wear themselves out at the park. To top it off: I put Angie in her crib for the sole purpose of having a few minutes of peace on the computer while I blog and write about the mess instead of actually cleaning it up. She's crying now and I guess I'll go. A day of rest? Yes. A day of rest and order? Not exactly. But they won't be small forever.

6 comments:

The Stokes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Stokes said...

Love it!! Love the pictures of everything and the reality! That is like here cept our house is actally MESSIER!!!

Anna Beal said...

Where was daddy in all this?

John and Robyn said...

You have no idea how much this post makes me smile! Every Sunday evening I look around our house and I think..."Did a bomb go off today?" however, Sunday is the only day that we get to really spend with John so we snuggle play games and watch a movie together while everything else around the house piles up :)

Demo Kitchen said...

I laughed. I understand, especially on Sunday mornings. We are always rushing and throwing things on our way out the door to church. We also have a utensil drawer that Halle used to be obsessed with, so we put a child lock on it, but she could still reach in and pull stuff out. And we also used the utensils, without washing them! It's all good!

Unknown said...

Our house is the same way on Sundays- a total disaster... sometimes I clean it just because it helps me calmer to have it clean and it helps to feel the spirit more but sometimes I just let it go and take a nap.