Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Weight-Loss Before and After

 My journey to lose weight has been a long one.  When Caleb was 2 years old, I graduated from Dental Hygiene school and we moved in with Parker's parents.  This time in my life was when my weight reached an all-time high.  Maxing out at 175 lbs.  It was during that time that I really started to hate myself.  Not like suicidal/depression stuff- but I really did hate my body.  I didn't shop much, but every time I did, I simply HATED it.  Clothes that LOOKED like they should fit me were not.  And I had to suck-it-in to button up my pants....thus producing the oh so gross "muffin top" or "spare tire" or "hangover."  Now please.  I know that my weight-loss struggle is NOTHING compared to what so many people have to go through.  And I didn't get near as big as I could have.  However.  I've decided that no matter WHO you are and HOW BIG you get, the process is so much the same.  You grow and grow, and your self image and self-esteem really starts to diminish.  Then a time comes when you decide that something has to change.  And it's WORK.  Every day work.  Mentally, and physically.  And every time I got on that scale, I had just enough motivation to get me through another day.  I was faithful at exercising for about 2 months and managed to lose about 8-10 lbs.  Then I got pregnant with Angie.  Another year went by, and I was right about where I had left off.  Actually no.  Where I had started.  172 lbs was about what I weighed when this photo was taken.
 Now I realize that the positioning of me being IN FRONT of Parker in this photo makes me look bigger than I am.  Still.  These family pictures was a BREAKING POINT for me.  I loved the pictures SO much but HATED the way I looked in them.  I remember the day before this photo shoot being a COMPLETE EMOTIONAL WRECK, and all because I was so afraid these pictures were going to make me look bad.  The week after these pictures were taken I got pregnant with Garrett.  Of course I didn't know it at the time, and I started a pretty strict diet and was able to lose about 15 lbs.  I think I got to about 155 or somewhere around that.  I was very motivated.  And also about 6 weeks into my third pregnancy.  Weight loss attempt- OVER.
After Garrett was born I took this picture below:  Please note this is NOT a "baby bump" picture.  There's no baby in there. 
This was taken in October of 2012 (at which time my weight was about 156).  I gained another 9 pounds after this picture was taken.  The holidays were NOT good to me.  New years day I started a diet.  I decided with baby Garrett still not quite sleeping through the night that I was not in a position to commit to exercising.  I work full time with 3 kids.  However.  I DO eat every day.  So I decided I could at least control what I eat.  Incase you don't recall, I'll give you a QUICK run-down on the rules of my diet:
*1200 calories a day (400 a meal).  Yes I counted every day.
*No sugar
*No deep fried foods
*No soda
*No bread
*No potatoes
*No white rice
*No pasta
*10-12 glasses of water a day
 
I made a few exceptions....I allowed myself to eat 1 roll or piece of bread if it was whole grain....but I only did it every few days or so.  I also did whole-grain pasta....only a few times though.  As long as I stayed within the calorie limit I figured it was ok once in a while. 
I did this for about 3 months and went from162 lbs to 142.  My goal was 140.  I've reached 140 a couple times....but my body seems to be trying REALLY hard to stay right around 142.  I quit fighting it and decided I'm at a good stopping point.  For now. 
Here's my AFTER pictures.
20 pounds lost!
---
---
---
Now I am exercising and Garrett is sleeping through the night.  I still watch what I eat.  But I'm not counting calories anymore.  I jog for 30 minutes on weekdays and then do some stretching, sit-ups, and girly push-ups in my living room.
Here's the thing that makes it ALL worth it:
I feel great.
And I don't hate my body. 
And my Husband (who never complained before) has some new-found attraction to me.
(TMI?  Sorry.  It's true.)
And I've had 2 patients notice.  Last week one of my patients walked in and took one look at me and said, "Heather you look how THIN you are!  Is this the smallest you've been in a long time?"
I informed her that I'd lost about 20 lbs and she then went on to tell me how good I looked and it just felt so good.  Mostly because I didn't ask.  My husband compliments me all the time...and of course I enjoy that too.  But he has watched me go through it.  Coming from a patient it's different.  Because I didn't ask or even bring it up.  They noticed and felt like they should say something.
The second one came today.  From a man (shocker I know).  He sat in the dental chair, we went through the routine, "How are you today?"  "I'm good, how are you."  I said, "I'm doing well."  and then he just out of the blue said, "You look good....did you change something?" 
I said, "Well....not really, I've lost 20 lbs...but that's about it."  And then he was like, "Oh.  Ok. I thought so....but I didn't want to bring it up incase I was wrong."
Anyway. It just amazes me that my patients (who only see me 2 or 3 times a year) are starting to notice too.  All I can say, is I am grateful for the motivation and self-dicipline that it took to get where I am.  And I'm grateful for the support of my husband and my parents.  I couldn't have done it without them.
Last I want to add that Parker has lost about 15 pounds since new years as well.  He isn't following a strict diet like I did.  But simply eating LESS at each meal.  Just yesterday we discovered that several of his pants (particularly his temple pants....which we'd just gotten new a few months ago) are lose on him.  I can tell in his face the most that he has lost weight.  He has about another 10 pounds to go before he reaches his goal.  I'm really proud of him too.




2 comments:

The Stokes said...

Heather that is awesome!! You are so good! My weight loss journey is never ending! And doing that while working! You are superwoman! Congrats!

Melinda said...

You look fabulous!! Seriously....AMAZING!!! Good job superwoman!