Sunday, June 9, 2013

Memorial Day Camping

 Memorial day we took our family of 5 camping to Sublett with Grandma and Grandpa Lyons and also Jayne and her 2 kids (Channing and Saije). It was a short trip.  We left Saturday morning, stayed Saturday night and drove back home on Sunday.  We had enough food to stay all weekend, but Paul and Claudia had plans to visit the cemetery in Utah, so we couldn't stay long.  I don't know if I could have handled another night anyway.  We had so much fun, but I don't think I slept a wink.
 I laid there stressing all night about whether or not my kids were warm enough.  Considering if I wasn't snuggled up RIGHT against Parker, I was cold.  The kids never even fussed.  Except Garrett did about an hour after I went to bed.  I was so stressed about him freezing that finally I put him in bed with me and Parker.  Instantly I felt relief knowing I could feel his skin and how warm it was.  But of course I can't actually SLEEP next to a kicking baby.  I slept maybe 2 hours.  Maybe. 
 
Anyway.  We rode the 4-wheelers a lot.  And with the baby-carrier we could fit 4 of us on one machine.  It was lots of fun. 
Sunday morning, Parker got up and started making breakfast.  He was the first out of the tent to boil some water so Garrett could have a warm bottle.  I was so grateful.  I was FREEZING and not ready to get out of bed.  Once he was up he just started breakfast.  After G had his bottle, I got up and helped.  We boiled omelets in plastic bags.  Had hash-browns, and sausage.  No pancakes thank you very much.  I've never been a fan of pancakes while camping.  They get cold INSTANTLY and so we agreed to pass on the flap-jacks this time. 
 We spent some time hiking as well.  And Garrett was SUCH a good baby.  Most of the time he sat on a blanket and just watched everybody.  He wasn't QUITE crawling yet.  He has been doing his tummy "army-crawl" for a while, but out there in the mountains (thank goodness) he didn't seem all that determined to wander around.

 We took the kids up a hill and Parker carved our name in a tree.  I think he did a pretty awesome job don't you?
 The kids ate WAY too much candy and snacks.  So did I.  I guess that's what happens when you're camping.  I guess I can take comfort in knowing nobody starved to death.
 This camping trip was also the first time that Parker let Caleb use a knife.  Parker showed him how to whittle at a stick, and Caleb thought that was GREAT.  Parker sat next to him and watched him to make sure he was being safe with the knife.  But Caleb felt like he was pretty big stuff....and once his stick was shaved and pointed on the end, he carried it around for the rest of the trip and now it's in my house. 
 We also ate s'mores.  The kids LOVED roasting marshmallows.
 Below is a picture of Garrett in his bedtime get-up.  Except not all of it.  Along with the fleece jammies and socks, he also had a hoodie sweatshirt with the hood over his head, as well as socks on his hands.  Oh.  And he had a onesie under his jammies.  :)
 On Sunday before we packed up to leave, we shot the guns for a while.  Caleb loved this too.  Parker let him shoot the Gloc and the 22.
 My favorite gun to shoot was Grandpa's .357.  He put in .38 special ammunition in it for me and Jayne so it didn't even kick.  Yeah.  I was a big fan of that. 
 Parker's grateful I shot his target right on the arm and broke it.  Nice job Heather. 
 Below is Caleb shooting the 22.  This was Parker's first hand-gun and another one of my favorites.

It was a good time.  I'm really hoping we can get a better tent.  Or an RV.  Whichever comes first.

No comments: