Monday, July 15, 2013

4th of July weekend

 My parents came to visit on the evening of July 3rd, and stayed with us to celebrate the 4th.  Parker had to work, so we spent the day being Twin Falls tourists.  I actually really love doing this.  I'm so sorry to say I have no pictures.  It was such a fun day.  We went to Perrine bridge first and I had my parents watch the BASE jumpers.  I've lived in Twin for 4 years, but my parents haven't ever watched people jump!  (You know....it's the only bridge in the US that it's legal to BASE jump from).  People come from all around the world to see this bridge.  We looked for some geocaches around there too. 
After the bridge we visited Twin Falls, and Shoshone falls.  I'm sorry to say I didn't get pictures of THIS either....because I made an awesome discovery.  We were looking for a geocache near the falls, that was supposed to be located at a photo viewing area of the falls.  I went to the typical viewing site, and my GPS said I was still about 500 feet away.  I was so confused.  Where else could you go?  This was the only place I'd ever gone to view the falls.  Then when I looked off in the distance, I saw ANOTHER viewing platform on the next rock ledge over.  I had NO idea how to get over there!  I remembered there were some trails up the hill, so I decided to see if any of them led to the viewing platform.  My parents stayed with Garrett, and I made the hike with Angie and Caleb.  Of course Angie's little legs only lasted about  5 minutes, and I had to carry her for the majority of the hike.  It took about 15 minutes to get around there with the kids.  When we reached the platform, we found the geocache (a magnetic key holder with a log book in it.....stuck to the railing) and the MOST AMAZING VIEW of the falls I have ever seen!  And hardly any people!  The other viewing spot is always packed with people.  I couldn't believe I'd never seen this before!  And no....I didn't take a picture.  So dumb.  I'm just dying to take Parker back so he can see. 
When I returned to where my parents were, I told them about the spot.  It was so hot outside....they really didn't want to go out there.  I assured them it was worth it, and Caleb took them back out there.  They agreed it was worth the hike.  It just goes to show you that, the more beautiful things in life take just a  LITTLE bit more effort.  Even if it is BLISTERING hot outside!
 
After our trip to the falls, we had Lunch at Chick-Fil-A and then ice cream at coldstone.  I haven't had that much ice cream since before I went on my diet.  It made me sick.  I've always considered myself an ice cream lover....but I'm starting to wonder if it's all really worth it.  I never feel so good afterward.  Oh well.  It WAS delicious.
After ice cream I put Angie down for a nap, and Caleb actually fell asleep too (this NEVER happens).  And THAT....I DID take a picture of.....
After our naps, we piled in the car and drove out to Jackpot to meet Parker for dinner.  Our plan was to eat, and then play at the park till it got dark and then watch the AMAZING Jackpot fireworks. 
We went to Poncho Villo's for dinner.  And while we were there, a summer storm hit, and the power went out.  We ate by the light of the backup safety lights.  When we stepped outside, the skies were gray, the wind was blowing, and it was raining.  We didn't have jackets....and this was JACKPOT.  Without going to the park, there is NOTHING to do if you aren't going to gamble.
So we headed down to Parker's office and sat on the couches and visited while the kids played hide and seek and tossed around their glow-sticks.
The rain stopped about 5 minutes before the fireworks started.  And we watched the 40 minute show and listened to the fireworks echo across the desert hills.  It was really quite spectacular.  The fireworks were HUGE, and they shook the ground.  I never regret making the drive to Jackpot for fireworks.  You spend that much time fighting traffic in Twin Falls anyway.  And the show is more than twice as long.  Even with the rain and the power being out....it was still a good time.
 
Then Friday my sister (Melissa) came over and spent the day with me.  Parker actually stayed home sick that day.  He started throwing up on the drive home from Jackpot.  With the kids having been sick only the week before, I have no doubt it was from them.  He stayed in bed all day.  And Melissa and I hauled our kids around Filer to the park, and the pool (which we got kicked out of because of lightning) and even another trip to Shoshone Falls (which we were only out of the car for about 5 minutes because the wind was so bad....the kids wanted to get back in the car).  
 Honestly- the kids were just happy to get to play together.  Angie and Camrey traded dresses and shoes all throughout the day....while Caleb, Chase, and Tyler played superheroes, and transformers, and who knows what else.  I really enjoyed the company of my sister.
Saturday we went to Burley and celebrated Paul's birthday.  Paul has gotten fireworks in a business trade for the past 5 years or so....and he never gets around to lighting them ALL off.  Lets just say, he has A LOT of fireworks....and they're GOOD.  It's so fun to get to watch them from his back yard.  
Claudia called the radio station and told them it was Paul's birthday, and he won the daily drawing for the ice cream cake (Considering he knows the DJ....I doubt this was coincidence).  So we all ate ice cream cake and the kids got to sing Happy Birthday to their grandpa.





 We drove home late.  It's so hard to leave with all the fun fireworks.  And the kids didn't want to go.  But even so... with the 1 hour drive back to Filer....we didn't get home till midnight.  And we have church at 9:00 on Sunday morning.  It's ok.  We made it...and the kids had so much fun!

 This summer is flying by so fast!  And I really am enjoying every minute of it.  We stay up late a lot of nights, and skip lots of naps....but it's so much fun.  I just love building so many memories with my little family! 


No comments: