Monday, March 26, 2012

Dear Caleb-

Dear Caleb-
Yesterday was a special day. As we walked into church, you told me that you wanted to bare your testimony today. I was quite surprised about this because I hadn't even told you that today was testimony meeting. We've talked about testimonies in family home evening, but you've never really wanted to do it before today. We've never taken you to the pulpit and whispered what to say in your ear. Your dad and I always thought that when the time came that you wanted to do it, you would know what to say by yourself. To make sure, I asked "Do you know what to say? Remember that mommy and daddy aren't going to go up there with you...." you looked at me and said "Yeah, I know."

As the meeting started, I began thinking about how gorwn-up you're getting. Through the opening song, I thought about your natural thirst for knowledge of the gospel. How you're able to relate ALL THINGS to choosing the right and living like Jesus. My dear son, I want you to always remember that this faith is a gift. A spiritual gift that you have been given. Even at this young age of five, I can see your faith and testimony burning with a conviction that many adults haven't even begun to taste. How was I so lucky to be blessed with a boy who has such faith? And before the meeting even began I was crying.

When the time came for you to bare your testimony, your daddy asked if you were ready. I watched you give him a confident, quick nod and then turn and walk to the pulpit by yourself. You stepped onto the foot-stool and adjusted the microphone and bore your testimony. The words weren't much different from what most other children say, "I know the church is true, I love my mom and dad, and my sister, and my baby brother." But there was something different about this. And maybe it was the fact that you are my son, and this was your first time- but as you stood there saying what you knew was true......I could tell you knew it was true. I looked over at your dad, and his face was as wet as my own. He knew it too.

Caleb, there will be times in your life when you may want to question your faith. But today your father and I saw a glimpse of the testimony that you will continue to build, and the man that you will become. Always remember that this fire was burning in your heart at a very young age. And it is not by chance that you have been given such a gift. Keep that faith strong. Protect it. And build it. And if you continue on that path, it will become like a rock. Solid, and unbreakable.

After you sat down, you looked at my red face covered with tears and said, "Mom- why are you crying? Did the Holy Ghost touch your heart?"
"Yes." I answered. It wasn't long before your dad mentioned in HIS testimony that this must be the way our Heavenly Father feels when one of His children is able to know for themselves the truth of the gospel. We are so proud of you. I hope you will never forget these things that you seem to allready know. You are our greatest blessing, and we love you.
Mom

1 comment:

Aubrey and Chris said...

This post touched my heart. Thanks for sharing. Such a special little man you have. You should be a very proud mother.