Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Money

Yesterday, I got after Caleb for talking back to me.  I said, "Caleb- it makes me upset when you talk to me that way."  Then he said something that TOTALLY threw me off guard.  He said, "Well MOM, it makes ME upset when you go to work!" 
silence.
That is so unfair.  I thought for a moment.  "Caleb, I want you to know that I don't LIKE leaving you to go to work.  I would much rather stay home with you.  But if I don't work, we don't have enough money to buy our food, or all the things that we need."  He considered this for a second, and then said,
"Well I have money.  You can have my money mom.  I have seven dollars."
Seven dollars.  How I wished that it was enough.  What a complete sweetheart! 
"Caleb, that is very kind to offer me your money, but I want you to keep your money.  Seven dollars just isn't enough.  But you can save your money and use it to buy yourself something special ok?" 
I didn't cry at the moment, but thinking about the conversation later just about brings me to tears.  What a special boy.  He deserves to have his mommy home with him every day.  I wish his seven dollars could buy that for me.  But it's not even a tiny fraction, bless his heart.  But just earlier that day I was also reminded how LUCKY my kids are that I have the job that I do.  With the flexible hours that I get.  And that I only work 4 days a week instead of five.
There's another little boy at Tresa's daycare, who's in kindergarten with Caleb.  That little boy's mom works Monday through Friday 8-5.  And she never gets off early.  I am so lucky with my job.  When my patients are finished, I get to go home.  If somebody cancels or no-shows at the end of the day, I get to go home.  And I actually get off early A LOT.  And lets not forget I have Fridays off.  When I pick up Caleb from school on Fridays, this other little boy always asks Tresa, "How come MY mom can't pick me up on Fridays?"  And then yesterday I had a 3 hour lunch break, so I went over to Tresa's while Angie was sleeping and I helped Caleb work on his homework.  This turned out to be a big blessing because I have a VERY busy week this week.  Yesterday I had to go visiting teaching after work, and then Wednesday I have mutual after work, and Thursday after work is a Relief Society activity, and Friday after work is our ward auction. And Parker's approaching finals week, and end-of-quarter stuff at work, and he will be working late or going to class every day this week.  Which means I have to take the kids to all of those church activities.  Anyway.  The long lunch was so great yesterday because Caleb was able to completely finish his weekly homework.  And I was so worried we weren't gonna have time to get it done because there was just too much going on.  But since I came over during lunch, the other little boy asked Tresa, "Can MY mom come for lunch sometime?"  Oooh, I felt bad.  But it made me so  grateful for the time that I DO get to spend with my children.  I'm so lucky compared to so many other parents. 
I AM grateful for my job.  And most especially my children.  They are so special.

1 comment:

Jill and Travis said...

oh man--what a sweetheart you have. why is it that everything always seems to converge on one week. If my kiddos weren't so sick I would watch yours for you during your activities. It is great your job is so flexible--blessing and a curse. hang in there.