Tuesday, June 19, 2012

New Panos

On Friday I took the kids to my work and decided to get some new panoramic x-rays.  It's been almost 2 years since Caleb's last one, and Angie's last x-ray was......undiagnostic.  We just got a new machine, and so I was excited to see how they'd turn out.  I must say.  Quality-wise....they turned out GREAT!  I only wish they gave me some better news. 

Below is Caleb's pano.  Mostly bad news here.  His little canine tooth is coming in SIDEWAYS.  It doesn't look like it will ever errupt.  I've heard of orthodontists taking impacted canines out of the palate....but I've never seen it on the mandible (bottom) before.  And his one little molar, there's no permenent tooth behind it.  My boss says there's still a chance that it could start to calcify late.  He says he's seen it happen lots of time.  And especially since we KNOW Caleb's experienced delayed erruption anyway (his first tooth came in when he was 2 1/2).....who knows.  There's still a chance I guess.  I'm not counting on it. As for those two little fangs on top.....nothin' behind them either.  My poor boy.  How un-lucky.  I wish I had an explanation for him.  
The next one is Angie's pano.  She did such a good job!  I told her to stand there and don't move....and she did it!  The x-ray turned out brilliant!  I was so proud of her.  As far as her teeth go.....she may have more baby teeth than her brother....but so far what I can see of her permenent teeth.....she's about the same as her brother.
No permenent teeth behind those 4 bottom, front teeth.  The little "shark teeth"......well they're gonna be around for a while, unless we decide to take them out.  They're so itty-bitty....who knows what we're gonna do with them.  I THINK I do see permenent teeth behind her 2 front teeth on top.  They look HUGE (as all adult teeth do, when you're looking at a TWO year old)...but I'm pretty sure I can see them.  Some bad news: I don't see her 6-year molars starting to calcify on top like they are on the bottom.  If they decide to NOT develop....she'll be just like her brother in that matter.  I can't really tell if any other permenent teeth are starting to develop on top.  It doesn't look like it.  Her primary laterals are missing on top....so naturally there's no permenent ones either. On the bottom....well she may get a few more than her brother, but not by much.  She's still VERY young, so we might get to see a few more start to calcify.....but honestly I just don't know.

I just sit and stare at these x-rays.....wondering what is to be done.  Why are they like this?  Is baby #3 gonna have teeth like this? (My guess would be yes....but how bad?)  Ultimately I just have to remind myself there's absalutely NOTHING I can do about it right now, and just quit worrying.  I am grateful that my children are otherwise healthy, very happy, and most of the time they're even easy to care for.  I guess I can't ask for much more than that.

No comments: