Parker was invited to golf with Dr. Pickup in St. George last week. Since our trip in the spring got cancelled because of work....we kinda jumped on this opportunity to take a family vacation. We decided we'd drive to Ogden on Tuesday night and stay with Aunt Jo. Then the following morning we woke up and made the trip to St. George. It took about 6 hours from Ogden. Angie has a 2 hour bladder. So 3 stops and we were there. It REALLY wasn't that bad.
We dropped Parker off in St. George and then I drove to Las Vegas with the kids, to spend the rest of the week at Robyn's house. This was a GOOD time. I must say I REALLY enjoyed myself. I did pretty much NOTHING the entire time. And it was awesome. At one point John said to Robyn, "You need to make sure you take Heather out to do something tomorrow. I'm sure she didn't drive all the way from Idaho to just sit at our house." When I heard this I laughed. I told Robyn. "I don't want to pack up the kids and haul them around town....I do that at home. I really like just relaxing and visiting. I NEVER get to do this! I read a book while I was there (perhaps you've heard of it):
Michael Vey. A great read. I recommend it for sure. Now I need to read the 2nd book. The kids had fun playing together, since they really don't get to see much of eachother.
On Thursday night we went to a school carnival. The kids wore their costumes and played carnival games and of course ate too much candy. We came back to Robyn's house and had pizza and watched a movie.
The following day we relaxed. I read my book, or played the Wii, and Showed Robyn how to make flour tortillas. John was impressed, and incase you don't know homemade tortillas are SO FABULOUS that once you learn how to make them you'll NEVER want to eat the store-bought ones again. Because they taste like rubber.
Friday night we went to Robyn and John's ward trunk-or-treat activity. Kids in costumes again, and lots of candy again. It was a great time.
That night I got to fall asleep listening to Robyn's drunk neighbors. 1:00 in the morning and they were outside howling like wolves. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! They even woke up Robyn....which is saying something, because she sleeps like a rock. And since Robyn lives in a neighborhood of 2-story houses stacked about 10 feet apart.....it echoes like crazy. Good times. Welcome to Vegas.
Of course, I'm used to getting hardly any sleep, because I'm up anyway with this little corn-on-the-cob! Garrett had a blast too. He even woke up for a few minutes for the ward party.
Saturday we carved pumpkins. John cooked the seeds, and I decided to try my hand at carving ET. It turned out FABULOUS! (see next blog post for a picture)
Saturday night I drove back to St. George and stayed with Parker at Dr. Pickup's house. Then Sunday morning we started the drive back home. Angie's 2 hour bladder turned into a 1 hour bladder towards the end. And Garrett had HAD it with his car seat. He fussed from Ogden all the way home. Finally by the time we got to Burley he was so upset I decided I was going to have to take him out of his car seat and hold him. No we weren't going to stop AGAIN! FRom St George we stopped in Fillmore, Sandy, Tremonton, and Snowville. So many things to deal with at each stop. Taking the kids potty, get something to eat, oh yeah, and I'm still breastfeeding so I had to pump in the car.....3 times. It just took forever. 10 hours to be exact. Caleb and Angie did quite well....Garrett not so much.
I loved our little vacation. I only wish I could have spent time with my husband. But it was so nice to see Robyn.....they live so far away we just don't get to see eachother that much.
At one point, John was gone running errands in town. Robyn and I sat on the couch and played the Wii while the kids gorged themselves with candy. I looked at Robyn and said, "You know....this is the kind of thing that we complain about MEN doing." She laughed and agreed. Can you imagine how funny it'd have been if John came home and said, "So what did YOU do while I was gone?"
"Oh.....played nintendo and ignored the kids while they filled up on candy."
And now I don't want to go on another road trip for a very long time!

No comments:
Post a Comment