Saturday, November 10, 2012

Chapter Book


Today Caleb was carrying this book around the house.  He can't read at this level yet....but he loves to hold books and just look at them.  Pictures or not. 


I saw the book and recognized the cover.  My mom read that exact copy to me when I was a child.  How old was I?  8?  I couldn't remember.  3rd grade I think.  Not exactly sure.  I told Caleb that my mom had read the book to me when I was little.  He then asked.  "Can you read it to ME mom?"  I looked at him.
"There's no pictures.  You have to use your imagination."
He didn't seem worried.  "That's ok mom.  I don't need pictures."
We've never read a chapter book together.  This was gonna be a new thing.  I wondered if he would have the attention span for it. 

I got the kids ready for bed and we sat on the couch.  I started reading.  The first 2 or 3 pages set-up the story.  And I could tell he was listening, but wasn't sure how interested he was.  Luckily, this book gets good fast.  As I started reading about Lucy wandering through the wardrobe and into a magical land, he was caught.  Hook.  Line.  and Sinker.  He was sitting on his knees.  Staring at my face,  just waiting for every word to come out.  I finished chapter 2.
"It's time for bed."
"What?!  NO!  Mom!  You have to keep reading!"
I laughed.  I won't lie.  I was actually thrilled to hear him say this.  He was into it!
I read one more chapter.  When I finished he started BEGGING.
"Mom.  One more page please?  Just ONE MORE PAGE."
So I read 3 more pages.
Then it really was time to quit. 
"Caleb.  Do you see how big this book is?  You're not going to find out what happens in just one day.  It's going to take a while for us to get through it.  And you're going to have to be patient.  That's what's fun about a chapter book.  We get to read a little more each day."
I promised to read to him every night if he was good.  He was ok with this.
"Mom can I take this book to bed?"
I laughed.  "sure.  Just don't lose it.  We have to read some more tomorrow."

I can't tell you how proud I am that my son is enjoying a chapter book with no pictures at age 6.I hope he will continue to develop a love for reading.  One of my favorite childhood memories was listening to MY mother read to me.  And what a great book to start with?!  I told him as soon as we finish the book that he can watch the movie.  He was thrilled.  He didn't know there was a movie.  Maybe we'll finish the book by Christmas and Santa can get him the movie.  :)  Proud momma right here.

No comments: