Sunday, February 17, 2013

New Machines

2 weeks ago something awful happened.  I stayed home from work to be with sick kids.  I was excited to get caught up on some laundry.  I put in a load and took Caleb to school.  When I got home there was water on the floor.  And not just a little bit.  It was everywhere. 

So....my dinosaur washing machine decided to finally go ka-put huh?  Darn.  I soaked up almost every towel I had cleaning up that nasty mess.  Because lets face it....who cleans under and behind their washing machine?  Ick.  The dust, the grime, the slime.  It was disgusting.  Please click HERE and refresh your memory about what that old thing looked like.  Here's a picture:
Anyway.  After it was all cleaned up I thought to myself, "It doesn't look so bad now."  And I decided to be stupid and run it again and see if it was leaking water when it filled up, or when it drained.  So I turn it on.  Don't see any water.  And walk away.  5 or 6 minutes later I came back and there was TWICE as much water on the floor.  I shut off the machine.  I still hear water trickling.  I shut off the hoses.  It's still going.  I started to panic.  What else can I do?!  I'd called Parker at work so many times.  He wasn't answering.  It was Tuesday.  He may not answer till he gets off. (Tuesday is his busy day).  Dad.  I called Dad.  As I was on the phone with him, the water started to slow down, as I realized everything that had been poured into the machine had to make its way to the floor before it could stop.  Dad told me that the old machine would be easy and inexpensive to fix.  It didn't make me feel better.  I didn't want to fix it.  I wanted a new one.  Look at it!  It has wood paneling!

I cleaned up the mess AGAIN and when Parker got home we went to Lowe's.  We had to make a decision on getting a used machine off Craigslist, getting a cheap-o (maybe something with a dent or something) from the store....or just getting a whole new set.  My dryer was also not my favorite.  Yes it worked. 

But the heat sensor always left the clothes damp.  And often it would error out and shut itself off when it got too hot.  I was always having to add time to the loads to make sure they were dry. 
So even though we were NOT in a position to buy a new washer and dryer....I got myself a Lowe's card and the next day they delivered these two babies....
We'll pay them off with our tax return.  Meanwhile they hauled off the washer and I sold the dryer on craigslist for 60 bucks.  We finally sold Parker's old Blackberry phone for 100 bucks, and we're working on selling a set of golf clubs.  The machines work amazing!  And they're so quiet!  My old dinosaur was such a loud machine.  I could never hear anything that was going on in the house if that thing was running.  Anyway.  So here it is.  Each machine can do a load in as little as 18 minutes.  I can have something in and out of the wash in 35 minutes if I have to.  They're so awesome!  I'm a happy mamma.  And apparently I won't be getting anything for my birthday or Christmas for the next several years.  Hah.  Just kidding...but probably not far off actually. 



No comments: