Monday, December 1, 2008

That old tree....

On the day after Thanksgiving, I climbed into Mom's attic and pulled out ALL THAT CHRISTMAS STUFF! The tree is almost as old as I am, yet it is still probably my most favorite tree in the world.

I've been putting up this tree pretty much all by myself ever since I was like twelve years old. And somehow, even though I've grown up and moved out, I still manage to be the one who gets it up EVERY YEAR. And it REALLY IS A PROJECT. You see, it's old so it's not pre-lit. And it breaks down to three separate parts. And every time you pull it out, you have to re-shape every single branch because they're all smashed from sitting in a box for a year. That takes the most time I would say. Then you have to run the lights, and I have a system. You can't just run the lights in a circle like you do a real tree. You've got to go Up and DOWN EVERY BRANCH, so it doesn't look fake. And that takes forever. Then it's the ribbon.
I've found that ribbons add so much to the tree, but it takes so long, cuz if you dont do THAT right, it looks stupid too. Once the ribbon's done, it takes five minutes to put on the ornaments, and then you're done. It literally takes ALL day to put that thing up, and I love it! It looks really good when it's finished.

About halfway through the process, Dejah came over and she got to help me. While she was putting ornaments on the tree (all in the same spot mind you), she was singing the entire time, "We wish you a merry Christmas" over and over again. I got a little video of it, but I don't think you can really hear her singing over the TV.....sorry. The other video is Caleb singing at the piano. It's pretty cute too.

When we got to Burley on Saturday, Caleb woke up from his nap, and he looked at me and asked, "Where's Christmas Tree?" I explained to him that we hadn't gotten one yet for this grandma's house. I think he's starting to catch on with the Christmas thing......he already knows Jingle Bells. He's so cute.

4 comments:

Julia said...

Dejah's singing is so cute!
And Caleb -Cheese! Cheese! CHEESE!

Jayne & Alex Nelson said...

That last video of Caleb had me laughing so hard my belly hurt and tears were welling in my eyes! I love that kid soooo much! He just warms my little heart with the things he says and does. Give him a big hug for me! I can't wait to see him soon!

Sarah said...

I LOVED the video of Caleb, That was so CUTE! He has grown up so much in teh last 6 months since we've seen him!

Jill and Travis said...

Beautiful tree Heather! You do an awesome job of making it look real! That is a lot of work to do alone. It's a good thing you had "helpers"! And I don't remember Cheese being in Happy Birthday, but it just makes the song complete! So cute!