Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Privacy Issue....

Well, potty training has been pretty good with Caleb, but up until today he wouldn't go #2 in the potty. He'd sit and say "it's too hard" or "It's stuck" and then give up. We've noticed that when he poops in his diaper, he always leaves the room...comes back...and then tells us, "I'm poopy."

Well one of my friends told us that they knew a kid like that and the parents just left the bathroom to let him go. I thought to myself, that probably wouldn't work with caleb because he's not always secure about sitting on the potty anyway. However, today he told us he had to go poop (which he doesn't usually do). And we sat him on the potty, and tried to get him to go. "It's too hard." he told me. So I tried the suggested tactic:
You try to push it out, and I'm gonna just stand right here." (moving behind the door). Three seconds later, I heard a little "plop" and as I'm walking in the room to congratulate him, he reaches behind him and flushes the toilet and it's gone before I can see any proof. Then I was skeptical....but his bum was dirty. SUCCESS! It really was a privacy issue I guess. Hopefully tomorrow brings more success. Who knew, we just had to leave the kid alone for a second! Ahh to be diaper free!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Big big big step for Caleb! Aleena had the exact same issue. And when Kelli left her alone in the bathroom they started having success again. Horay for caleb but an even bigger horay for you! Lydia is offically potty trained. We have her in diapers for sleeping but that's jsut cause I dont have anything to protect the mattress yet. She stays dry at night. So once I get a plastic sheet, bye bye diapers.

Jayne & Alex Nelson said...

I love the "It's stuck" thing. That's hilarious! GOOD JOB CALEB! Aunt Jayne is proud of you!

Brian and Lindsay said...

Yeah!! That is awesome! He is getting all grown up! Hope you guys are doing well. Lindsay

Jill and Travis said...

Haha. Some people just need alone time for that I guess. Apparently even at that age!

The Shumakers said...

Totally had the same issue with Gavin...it was SO frustrating! My mother in law told me, "Don't worry Jodi, he's not going to go to high school pooping his pants." (after she saw how frustrated I was getting with the whole issue)..and wouldn't you know it...as soon as I laid off of him, he decided to christen the Applebees potty on the way out from Virginia! I'm excited for you and Caleb....it's so nice not having to take a diaper bag everywhere!