This morning we took Caleb to Kindergarten orientation. They're doing it kinda weird I think. They've split his class in half for orientation, and the first half goes Tuesday (today) and the second half goes Wednesday (tomorrow). As a result his first REAL day of school isn't until Thursday. So today we got to meet his techer, and he got to see his classroom and put all his stuff in a cubby.

I must say, I think I held it together pretty well. His teacher, Mrs. Snow, had the kids color a picture and try writing their name while she talked to us about schedules, pick-up and drop-off times and so on. Then she had some papers for us to fill out while she read a story to the kids. Not a bad idea. Parker went into work late so we could both meet his teacher and see his classroom. I was glad he was there. But, THEN I started listening to the story she was reading to those kids. It's called "The Kissing Hand." Have you ever heard of this book?!!

It's a New York Times best-seller, and HOLY COW! I really thought I had it together until I started listening to this book. I turned into a blubbering basket-case, and could hardly read the writing on the papers I was supposed to be filling out. Luckily I wasn't the only mom in there that was wiping her face. But I have no doubt I was the worst.

He made me so proud. He would raise his hand for every question she asked, even if he didn't know the answer, because he was so excited to participate. I could hardly even look at him without my eyes welling up. When did he grow up? Life is forever changed from this point on. He will be a student for the next thirteen years AT LEAST. He's not a baby anymore. He's not a toddler anymore. He's not even LITTLE anymore!! I couldn't let myself think about it in there. I was pathetic. And yes I took my camera to the school. I WAS that parent shooting pictures of my kid standing in front of the door. Because he IS my first kid. And as much as he grows, he is still MY baby. And I REFUSE to let myself forget what this boy was like when he was little.

He was excited to see all of the things there were to play with in his classroom. And then disappointed when he found out he was going to have to wait another 2 days before he could play with them. ANOTHER thing I was surprised about......they have KINDERGARTEN kids doing PE, and music, AND computer lab! I don't remember doing those activities in kindergarten. Oh he's gonna love it!

I am so excited to watch my boy learn from school. I think primary at church has helped him a lot to know how he's supposed to behave in a classroom. He's not too chatty, and he listens well and raises his hand.

Don't mind me, if this Thursday, I'm out there with my camera again, drying my tears as he walks into his classroom. I am hardly even working this week. Monday was a holiday. I took Today off so I could go to his orientation. And tomorrow will be the only day I work. Because since Thursday is his first REAL day of school, I took off work then as well. He will only have his "first-day-of school-EVER" once. So I will use my vacation to make sure I'm there for it.
I sure love my boy. He makes me so proud. I thought he'd be scared or nervous about today, but he wasn't. He's just so grown-up. I seriously don't know when it happened.
2 comments:
"The Kissing Hand" is on of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!!! I still kiss Andy's hand when he leaves me for a while...and he's almost 16!
He looks so grown up and adorable Heather! Can't wait to see you guys soon.
Post a Comment