My breast pump is a huge part of my life right now. I like to pump and then bottle feed my babies. I have never nursed. It takes too long, and I love being able to get instant relief when the milk has come in, and I'm ready to get it ALL OUT! Since I'm a working mom anyway, it all makes sense that I should do it this way. My breast pump is a Medela Pump-in-style.
The model I have is what you see in the picture. So here's what was going on. I was noticing that I was losing suction. I used to be able to pump 4 oz (I always measure on one side, even though I always pump both sides at once) in 5 minutes, and by 7 minutes I could have 6 ounces. Quick right? Lately it's been taking 15 to 20 minutes to get 4 ounces! It gets SO annoying, I mean....I have to use this thing 4 times a day. There were times when it felt like it was taking LONGER AND LONGER every time I used the pump. I was really getting frustrated. But I FINALLY figured out why (and honestly....it's not all that complicated, I'm just a little slow I guess)
The breast attachment is something that I rinse after every use, and I actually do wash the horn with soap every time. But there's one part that I was NOT washing every time. See below...
This little flappy valve. I also noticed that as I continued to lose suction, these little valves were making more and more noise while using the pump. Kind-of a "buzz" vibration that I suppose only pumping moms would recognize. And I also noticed that as it lost suction, I was getting more and more condensation in the hoses. Apparently when you don't wash these parts, you get build-up which affects the suction. See the white stuff? Well. Once I cleaned it off....it was like my pump was brand new again! 6 ounces in five minutes again. What a relief. And the condensation went away in the hoses.
On a second note, I just want to say that the pump itself has a face-plate that can be removed. (see below)
If the face-plate isn't re-attached completely and tightly, the pump won't work right either.
So....lesson learned. The best way to keep the pump in working order is to keep it clean! Who knew.

No comments:
Post a Comment