The other day we went to the park, and Caleb was getting pretty good on the monkey-bars. A few minutes later he came running up to me in tears. He held out his hand and showed me a dime-sized blister that had been ripped on the palm of his hand. I told him that it's a monkey-bar blister and that I had gotten several when I was little. I told him, "I know it hurts, but every kid gets these kinds of blisters. You're gonna be ok." His reply made me laugh: "Every kid in the whole wide world?" ........how do you answer that? As a matter of fact, he's ALWAYS asking me questions I can't answer. It's really annoying at times. He always asks questions regarding time, which is a concept he really doesn't understand yet. "Mom....how long does it take to get to Las Vegas?" then when I reply "Oh, about 8 hours." His next reply is, "Well how many minutes is 8 hours?" Seriously? You can't tell time yet kid....why are you asking me this? He also is constantly asking me math problems. "Mom. How much is 8 plus 5?" Then when I tell him, he either argues with me about what HE thinks is the answer.....or he follows-up with another math problem. I'm glad he wants to learn....he just asks this kind of stuff ALL THE TIME. One of these days he's gonna figure out that I'm still counting on my fingers. ;)
Caleb is quite the little sponge when it comes to learning. His favorite thing to watch on TV is documentries! He's always got some thing on from national geographic of animal planet. His favorite show on PBS is "wild Kratz" which is 2 brothers exploring animals. As a result, Caleb is always spewing facts like, "Mom- did you know the ocean is the largest ecosystem in the whole wide world?" and "Mom- did you know the biggest mammals are whales?" The other day I was talking to him about monkeys. As we listed off different species like howlers, arangitans, gorillas and so forth, I mentioned a chimpanzee. Caleb quickly corrected me. "No mom. Chimpanzees are NOT monkeys, they're APES!" ........yes you're right. I've just been schooled by a six-year-old.
Angie has some favorite movies right now that just make me so pleased! Goofy Movie is the first. This movie was a STAPLE in my childhood. I just love it! And it's awesome to see that my girl likes it too. Her other favorite is "Annie." And this is just so cute, because she sings the songs to herself while she plays, and even dances around the living room saying, "We've got Annie!"
Angie also has a favorite word right now. "Probably." Everything is "probably."
"Mommy- you should probably make dinner."
"Mommy- you should probably vacuum."
"Mommy- you should probably paint my nails."
Our garden has produced a hybrid. The cucumber is to the left of the pumpkin- both of which are in the same box. They've cross-pollinated to give us yellow cucumbers! Ironically, they taste just like a cucumber. They're just a different color!
The pumpkin (so far) seems to be un-affected. And so far we only have one. It's currently the size of a cantalope....maybe a little bigger. It looks like it'll make a fine jack-o-lantern!
Just before school started, we decided Caleb had better learn how to tie his shoes. So we bought him lace-up shoes for school, and he had about a week to practice. He had it down by the first day! I was so impressed at how fast he learned- but today when I picked him up from his first day of school, both of his laces were un-tied. Oh well.
Caleb also got a new set of partial dentures this summer. About a week ago actually. After Garrett was born, I didn't make him wear them for a few weeks. Then when I tried to get him to put them back in, he cried "they don't FIT mom!" I found it hard to believe that his mouth could've changed that much over 2 weeks....but maybe he was just so used to the change before. So I took him into my work. Dr. Thompson tried in the old ones and said "These things are way too small. His teeth have errupted more, and he's going to need a whole new partial." So we had a new one made. It fits him pretty well....but for some reason, his upper lip-line is not right when he smiles. The picture below illustrates what I'm talking about.
Dr. T. is on vacation right now, so he'll have to wear these for the first week of school, but hopefully I'll get him in and they will be able to fix it so that his smile is a little more normal. He's still a handsome little guy. And such a trooper to live every day with such a mouth-full! I love him so much.
Last Sunday we had corn on the cob with our dinner. Angie (who has front teeth) was able to dig-in with no problem. Of course I had to take a quick picture. There's nothing more classic than a kid eating corn on the cob! But I was surprised to see how well Caleb did too! He didn't want it cut off the cob. And he didn't want to wear his partials either. With only 5 teeth, my boy was able to mangle an entire ear of corn. He actually ended up eating much more than Angie did!
Finally- little Garrett is my joy. His blue eyes and red hair just amaze me. I don't know where it came from, or if it'll stay that way. But he's just so beautiful! We've allready adjusted the straps on his carseat because he's just SO BIG! And he's been wearing 3 month clothing for several weeks now. The newborn stuff barely lasted long enough for him to wear each outfit once!
He's starting to make facial expressions, and has slept up to 5 hours sometimes at night. I have been feeding and burping him while lying on the couch at night, and I've made a bad habbit for myself. After he's had enough, I roll him onto my chest to burp him, and we usually both fall asleep for another hour or two. Most of the time he hasn't burped, and then when I finally wake up (because I haven't pumped yet, and now it's just painful) he usually needs fed AGAIN before I can go back to bed. It kinda makes for a long night, even though I'm spending the majority of my time snoozing. I need to keep myself awake while I'm burping him....just get everything done and then I'd be able to actually go back to bed. But it's just so easy to roll him over and doze off myself. We'll get the hang of something. I only have 2 weeks of maternity leave left.
I've enjoyed this time so much, I'm just so sad it's about to end. He's so precious, and I love him so much!

No comments:
Post a Comment