Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Because when you read a book as a child...."

There's this bookshelf in our closet, built into the wall. And apparently it has been storing generations of books for the Lyons family. I've seen several of the classics, "Moby Dick," "Where The Red Fern Grows," "Treasure Island," "The Diary of Anne Frank." And so on.... the other day Parker was fishing through those books, cuz he saw some kids books that he thought Caleb would like. And then he saw it.......the BFG!! Oh my gosh I almost died!! I was so excited!! "Parker, you guys have the BFG?!! That was like my favorite book in fifth grade!!....my TEACHER read that to us!" And then I started thinking about all of the books that my teachers read to me in elementary school. Now, I might need Kaila's input because I'm sure I'll be forgetting some.....but I'm gonna try to make a list of all the books that my teachers read to me in elementry school. And it's simply amazing how much I remember. And (sorry here's a little tangent) I'm reminded of a quote from "You've Got Mail" that says,
"because when you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other thing can...."
And that is SOOooo true. These books were my childhood, and I just thought you might wanna hear what they were.
I'll list what grade it was in...if I can remember. (Kaila or Jenni you'll have to correct me if I'm wrong and you remember).

"The BFG" -Mrs. Cox 5th grade
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factroy" -Mrs. Cox 5th grade
"Summer Of The Monkeys" -Mrs. Bevel 4th grade
"The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" -Mrs. Sulfridge 3rd grade

I also remember reading some book about being in the eye of a hurricaine.
...another book about some kind of ghosts in some ruins in some forest...
......and another book where I don't remember anything except that the father always tells the son (the main character) to "keep your nose clean."

I KNOW I'll think of more once I post this, so keep checking up for ammendments. I could have SWORE there was more than four. I've been compiling this list in my head for days it seems like. Oh well. Since this is personal history as well as entertainment for all my readers.

7 comments:

Sheri said...

Was the book about being in the eye of a hurricane about some old black man with malaria?

Heather and Parker Lyons said...

I don't think so...I'm pretty sure the main character was a little kid....although I could be completely wrong. I also remember REALLY liking that book....but I couldn't tell you anything else about it.

Jayne & Alex Nelson said...

so true

Todd and Kaila Myers said...

I totally agree 100%! Most of my favorite memories of what I did in school center around those good books. One of the first books I read to my class this year was "The BFG," and it was so much fun for me. My kids got into it as much as I did, and to this day when I ask them a question, I'll ask them, "right or left?" instead of "right or wrong?" The day we finished it was the best--as soon as I read the last word, the entire class spontaneously erupted in clapping and cheering. "The BFG" is--in my opinion--the best book for getting kids into reading and liking books. I value the time I get to read to my kids every day, and I think it is their favorite part of what we do, too.

Here are some other books I thought of from elementary school:
"Number the Stars"-Mrs. Bevel
"The Indian in the Cupboard"-Mrs. Bevel
"From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"-Mrs. Cox
"Sideways Stories From Wayside School"-Mrs. Cox or Ankrum?
"Wayside School is Falling Down"-Mrs. Cox or Ankrum?

I had more, but I can't think of them now. I remember, too, how all the girls of the class would take turns giving Mrs. Ankrum a shoulder rub as she read to us. And Mrs. Cox would sometimes tell us stories by acting them out, not from a book. Ah, the good old days. I hope my kids remember the good stuff like that when they're all grown. Then I will consider myself a successful teacher.

By the way, if you haven't read "The Giver," you HAVE TOO! I promise that you'll be reaching for the companion books when you're done as well--"Gathering Blue" and "Messenger." Happy reading!

Todd and Kaila Myers said...

Ok, that last comment was way too long. It was like a post in and of itself. My bad.

The Ingrams said...

Holy blast from the past! I loved the Wayside books! We read some really good books in elementary! I remember all the ones you and Kaila mentioned. But wasn't there one about a boy falling through a hidden door to another world? And one about unicorns? Or am I imagining things? (It's possible.) Seriously, some of my favorite school memories are from Star Elementary! Thanks for the trip down memory lane Heather!

Heather and Parker Lyons said...

Oh Kaila, I should've KNOWN you'd remember all the good stuff!! WAYSIDE SCHOOL!! I KNEW I was forgetting something important. I'd even thought about that one a couple of days ago. Thanks!That was Mrs. Ankrum. And yes, I remember "Number the Stars" I loved that one! And "The Indian In The Cupboard" I remember that was the first movie that came out AFTER I'd read the book. I felt pretty cool. And Jenni, YES I remember the story about the kid falling into the hole...what was that?! Thanks guys!