Well, it's flown by so fast! My maternity leave is almost over. At present, full-time work is essential for me. When Angie was born, I told them I'd be gone for six to eight weeks. That's the typical amount of time for maternity leave, and it's almost DOUBLE the amount of time I had with Caleb (because Dental Hygiene school started when he was 4 weeks old). But I can't believe it's already been five weeks. Next week I go back part-time, and then the week after that it'll be 4 days a week again. She's still so small, and I'm still so sleepy, I'm really not sure how I EVER did it with Caleb. She wakes up every 4 hours on average. There are some times when she'll sleep for five, and even six once. But we're still not sleeping through the night. And I have such a hard time getting out of bed before ten....sometimes later. A big change is coming, and I'm NOT looking forward to it. How I wish I could continue to stay home with my kids. Parker is currently not working, so he can be home with the kids for the time being. But he's currently interviewing for jobs since he graduated, and I know it's only a matter of time before he goes back to work too. And according to his report of his last job interview (which was today)....that could be very soon.
Being away from work for six weeks not only means more time with the kiddos, but also a lack of income. We did some saving during my pregnancy.....but things have been TIGHT this month. And I must say, even though Parker and I have been "starving students" since we got married (five and a half years ago), we really haven't had to seriously pinch the pennies till now. We've learned a lot about budgeting and meal-planning these past few weeks. And kudos to us for NOT EATING OUT for the past six weeks. And I've stuck to my meal-plan, and therefore our grocery budget for the first time ever. And I just want to say, to all you other "can never stay within the food-budgeters" out there IT CAN BE DONE! Okay maybe we're the only ones who struggled with that.....but somehow I doubt it. Either way, not anymore......cuz I've mastered meal-planning, grocery-list making, and family budgeting. Okay, not mastered by any means. But as tight as things have been this past month, it's kinda a good feeling to know that you've accomplished your goal.
I'm so sad I have to go back to work. All I can do is pray that Heavenly Father will give me strength, and watch over my kids (because I won't be able to). On a brighter note, we're excited to see that the days are getting longer, and that hopefully Winter will get the HECK OUT OF OUR LIVES! We're so ready for Spring...or even better Summer. We're excited to work on our stupid swamp of a yard and hopefully a garden.
2 comments:
Good job sticking to your grocery budget and meal plan! That's awesome! It's tough, and I bet you're right--many people probably struggle with that. I hope by the time you have to go back to work Angie is sleeping through the night and you are getting some good rest. Good luck!
Good job Hebs! Now, just send me a copy :)
Post a Comment