Thursday, March 25, 2010

"I give myself medicine!"

Yesterday I got a phone call from Parker at work. (By the way....parker never calls me at the office. He usually just leaves me a voicemail and then I call him back). I was with a patient at the time, but since he NEVER calls me at work I decided I'd better take the call. I get on the phone:
P: "How much medicine was in that bottle of ibuprofen?"
H: "I don't know, I think it was a quarter full.....why?"
It turns out, Caleb had woke up Parker that morning by saying, "Wook Daddy, I give myself medicine!" He then handed Parker the empty bottle of children's berry flavored ibuprofen. YIKES!! Thank goodness it was almost empty.

You see, the night before Caleb had a fever and at about 4:00 in the morning, I had given him some ibuprofen because he had a temperature of 102.2. I had opened the medicine basket and pulled out the 2 bottles of ibuprofen and set them on the counter. Then it hit me....
H: "Parker......is the other bottle of ibuprofen still in the bathroom?"
P: "What other bottle."
H: "I got BOTH bottles of ibuprofen out last night. One was bubble gum flavored and it was half-full. The other was berry flavored and it was 1/4 full."

I then had to hang up and get back to my patient. I told Parker to call Caleb's doctor and that I'd call him back after I dismissed my patient. Ten minutes later I called Parker back.

It turns out that the other bottle of ibuprofen was found in the trash.....empty. Yep. The little stinker drank both bottles. Now I know you're all thinking what I'm thinking.....How did he open the childproof lid? Oh. Well didn't you know? Childproof lids only work if mom screws them on all the way! Yeah. Oops. I guess in my 4:00 am half-asleep state I didn't screw it all the way shut. What I can't figure out is how he opened the bubblegum flavored bottle. I never opened that one. It must have not been shut tight either, although I don't see how....Anyway.

Parker called poison control. (By the way....do YOU have that number in your cell phone? I know I didn't) and they figured out how much he drank vs. how much he weighs (thank goodness the boy's a tank) and they told us we didn't have to do anything. They said to give him some food, and something to drink. He could get a tummy ache later, and possibly a little drowsy, but he only drank about half the toxic level for his weight. Phew. Not the kind of panic you wanna have while at work. Thank goodness we didn't have to take him to the ER and pump his stomach or something.

Moral of this story: Screw those child-proof lids tight!

5 comments:

Jill and Travis said...

Whew! That's scary. So glad he is ok!

John and Robyn said...

This is like my biggest fear...Lucas eating too much of something that is bad for him! I am so glad that Caleb is okay!

Sarah said...

wow scary!

Todd and Kaila Myers said...

I'm saving the Poison Control Number in my phone right after I type this!

Nathan Willis said...

On March 20th, out 3 year old, Caleigh, ate some of Grandma's blood pressure medication. We rushed her to ER and she was sent to Pediatric Intensive Care at Boise St. Luke's Hostpital. She stayed overnight and was discharge in good health. They were able to control her blood pressure.

I'm so glad Caleb's alright!
Let this be a lesson to everyone to always have poison control's phone number on hand, especially if you have children.

~Nathan Willis