Friday, May 27, 2011

Independence

Caleb learned how to ride his bike without training wheels last week. With this new accomplishment has come a whole new feeling of independence for him. We'd tried to get him to ride his bike last fall. But his tire went flat and then it got cold. So we quit trying for several months. Then last week Parker finally fixed that tire. He handed the bike over to Caleb. He hopped on and rode away. That was it! No teaching. No running behind him telling him you're there when you're really not. He just rode his bike. I couldn't believe it! What a big boy!

So now it's all he wants to do. He is ALWAYS riding out in the driveway. He comes in for mealtimes and potty breaks. We hardly ever turn on the tv since he's been riding his bike now! Anyway. On the first day he wanted to ride to all the neighbors and tell them all what he could do. He walked into the house, "Mom! I went to the house with kids!"

"You did what?"

"I crossed the street to the house with kids!"

Ok. Hold the phone. He took me outside and pointed to a house across the street that belongs to a family in our ward. There were a bunch of kids playing in the front yard. So. We had a little discussion about crossing the street. I told him he was only allowed to cross the street if he comes and asks me first. One great thing about my son. Stuff like this....I usually only have to tell him once. He's pretty obedient.


Although today he told me he would be going outside to ride his bike in the driveway. I sat down for a few minutes on the computer while Angie was taking a nap. After about 15 minutes of silence I started to wonder where he was. (He almost always comes in every 5 or 10 minutes to tell me about a new trick he can do, or to tell me about something he found outside). I peeked my head out in the garage....and he wasn't there. Ok check inside the cars. Nothing. Maybe he's in the house. I yelled for him and no answer (he never doesn't answer). I go BACK outside and start yelling for him. A twinge of panic in my voice. My thoughts are easily getting out of hand. He's been hurt. Hopefully he's just hiding? He's not kidnapped..... ok. Lets just check next door. (the neighbors have a 4 year old boy that Caleb loves to play with). There he was, sitting on the living room floor. Relief. Now I'm angry.

The boy's mother said Caleb had told her I knew where he was. Hah. I pulled Caleb outside and we had a little chat about telling mommy when he goes to Victor's house. About how scary it is when mommy can't find her little boy. And of course there was tears and sobbing and lots of "I'm sorry!" Then I left and he stayed and played.


He's just growing so fast. I can't even believe it. He's starting kindergarden this fall. And he's just so big. The other day I asked him, "Caleb- how come you keep growing so big?" and he answered, "I duno. Maybe it's the food."


Last here are some videos of Caleb doing some tricks on his bike. A couple days ago some teenage boys came riding by on their BMX bikes while Caleb was outside. He stood there in amazement while they did tricks for him. Now he thinks he's gonna try some as well. I suppose we'd better get him a new helmet. The one he has is broken and uncomfortable. He won't wear it.




Does anyone else love how he sticks his tongue out when he's doing tricks? So cute! And Angie's yelling in the background "Wow! Wow! Wow!" Which I never really noticed when I was making the recording. Incase you were curious....right after taking this video angie stuck her arm up the tailpipe of the explorer. Bleck! The girl has no shame.

2 comments:

The Gransbury's said...

GO CALEB!

Anna Beal said...

I showed Dejah this video. I said "Look at Caleb", Dejah looks and replys, "Its because the bike is his size."

So I think I'll put her seat and everything down so that she can put her feet on the ground. That might help.