Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July in Jackpot

For the past 2 years we've watched the fireworks at CSI in Twin Falls.  I have to say....I've never been a huge fan.  The city is so crowded and the streets so busy that even if you ARE lucky enough to find a good spot to watch, you're sharing it with so many other people.  And then of course the traffic-jam to get outa there once it's all over.  Then I also heard a rumor that the city didn't raise as much money for the fireworks this year.....so they're gonna be shorter. Parker suggested we go to Jackpot this year, since he had to work anyway.  Good idea.  I've heard Jackpot's fireworks are pretty good.  So Parker car-pooled to work that day so that I could bring the kids down around 5:00 and we'd be able to all ride home together.  It worked out really good, actually.

On the morning of the 4th, I found some red hair flowers to put in Angie's hair.  She looked SOOO GROWN UP!  I won't lie.  I never thought I'd actually SEE the day when I could do something with her hair.  She looks like a completely different child!  And she, loving all things girly, not only LET me do her hair in pig-tails, but left them in all day too. 
I arrived in Jackpot around 5:20, and we went down to daddy's office and met his new boss.  Then we went up to the casino floor and had dinner in one of the restaurants "The Desert Room."  It's pretty yummy.  And the kids ate their food really well.

After dinner we went over to the park for a little bit and let the kids play.  Then Parker decided we had enough time to kill before the fireworks to play 9 holes of golf.  Parker has a season pass at the Jackpot golf course, which includes the cart.  This was good for me, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to walk 9 holes.  I can barely walk around the neighborhood.
Caleb was VERY excited to get to golf with his daddy, since he's been doing a lot of practicing in our new back yard.  Just about every evening Caleb gets out his golf club and hits a bunch of balls over the fence.  The next day, our kind neighbors have tossed them all back over for us, and Caleb hits them again till they're all over the fence again.  Anyway.  The point is, he's getting quite good at hitting the ball.
We figured out that Angie happened to fit perfectly in the basket on the back of the golf cart.  This was good because I don't really have a lap for her to sit on right now.  And to top it off, she LOVED it back there!
It was such a relaxing evening!  The golf course was almost completely empty, so Parker had plenty of time to work with Caleb on his swing and his putting.  And Caleb is getting old enough now, that he's actually listening to his daddy instead of insisting on doing it all by himself.
After golfing we still had about 1 hour before the fireworks went off.  Tresa Hansen (my daytime babysitter) was also in Jackpot with her family, so we met up with them at the church.  The Jackpot branch had some activities going on there, and it turned out there were quite a few people from Hollister and Filer there as well.  It was kinda more of a stake activity than just the Jackpot branch.  So we picked out a spot on the grass at the church to watch the fireworks. 
The church building was actually quite close to where they were lighting off the fireworks, which always makes for a good show.  This was the big seller for me.  In Twin Falls if you wanna get a view like that then you have to actually go to the CSI campus......and it is such a ZOO to get in there, and even worse to get out.  Not to mention constant traffic in-between.  Jackpot may take an hour to get there......but I don't have to worry about my kids running out into the street and getting hit by a car.  And nobody lit off their own fireworks either!  So you didn't have to worry about walking into a bottle-rocket war or something. 
And to top it off....Tresa's kids were there, and my kids just ADORE them!  And they were able to help keep track of my 2 little crazies, and I think it made it more fun having people you know around.
The show started at 10:15 and it lasted 30 minutes.  It was really awesome!  Parker and I decided we're going to Jackpot every year now.  It was SOOO much better!  The kids had so much fun too.  I was able to get a shot of Angie in the light of the fireworks.....it turned out kinda cute. 
The one down-side was that the fireworks ended at 10:45 and so we really didn't get home until midnight.  But the kids fell asleep in the car, and Parker and I decided that once the 4th falls on a weekend....we'll just stay at Cactus Pete's for the night and not worry about the drive home. 

So if you live in Twin Falls County....fireworks in Jackpot is definately the way to go.

No comments: