Last weekend I went to Time Out for Women with my sisters, mom, and Grandma Willis. I really enjoyed myself, even though I was kinda fighting a terrible stomach bug at the time. Parker watched the kids at my mom and dad's house, and I got to spend some time being spiritually fed by some awesome speakers. My FAVORITE talk was by Hilary Weeks. Here's the link to a segment of my favorite talk:
Like all conferences, some talks were better than others, and some of the music was good, and some of it was not my favorite.
I was really touched by a few talks in particular. A woman from Africa, a woman who suffered cancer in her eyes leaving her completely blind, and then another of my favorites was Hilary Weeks's music video "Beautiful Heartbreak" Here it is. Get out your tissues.
I've decided that at things like this, you get out of it what you decide to put into it. There were times when I felt un-interested, but I wasn't focusing. When I decided to really apply myself and listen with my heart I was able to take home so much more.
What I took from this conference: I need to pray more and spend more time reading my scriptures. I learned that the power of positive thinking can change your life. And I learned that I am SO lucky. No. Blessed. To have the things in my life. There are SO many people who have it worse than me. I have such great examples to be found in my mother, grandmother, and sisters. They are such a source of strength to me.
I also learned that as much as I love my baby....I will NEVER take him to a big conference like this. And IF I did (which I wouldn't) then I would LEAVE THE ROOM when he started to cry and hopefully set a good example for the other sisters in the room who can't seem to comprehend the over-the-shoulder stares that are screaming, "Are you SERIOUSLY going to sit there while your baby whines in this HUGE room full of people?!!".
I hope to get to go again sometime!
1 comment:
I think my wife went to one of those and really enjoyed it. I totally understand the taking more time to study scriptures and pray thing, life seems to get stupid busy, but the effort is definitely worth it and necessary. One thing that's helped me has been reading Preach My Gospel again rekindling my missionary fire.
Post a Comment