Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Grandpa gives us a scare

Just a few days before Christmas we got some news that rocked our world.  Parker got a call at 7:00 in the morning from his mom.  Dad's had a heart attack.  She wanted to know if he would come to the hospital in Burley to give him a blessing. 
Of course all I hear is Parker's end of the conversation.  "What?!"
"Is he okay?"
"I'll be right there."
 
So once I heard, I called into work and said I wouldn't be coming in.  Parker did the same, and then he jumped in the car and drove to Burley.  I got the kids ready and told Caleb he wasn't going to school.  A few hours later we found out that he was being transferred to Mckay Dee hospital in Ogden.  So I packed the kids, and a bag for Parker (who simply got dressed and then left) and we drove to Utah to be with Grandpa.  Parker rode with his mom and his brother, Garrett. 
 
Wouldn't you know we just happened to be driving with a storm front.  The mountain pass between Burley and Utah is a tretcherous drive when there's a storm.  The roads were packed with at least 4 inches of snow, and it was falling so fast you could barely see.  It was a complete white-out, and I was driving with my kids in the back. No husband.  I was freaked.  I had a death-grip on the steering wheel.  With all the trucks, and flying snow and slush, it was one of the scariest moments of my life.  The baby cried for a large portion of the drive, and Caleb did what he could to make him happy as I drove, including feeding him and giving him his nuk over and over and over.  Of course I couldn't stop because I was afraid of getting stuck.  The snow plows weren't even out yet.  What is normally a 2 1/2 hour drive took me nearly 4 hours.
 
When we got down to Ogden we had more news about Paul.  He had 2 blockages in his heart.  One was 100% blocked and the other about 50%.  They placed a stent in the one that was completely blocked, and said that the other could be treated with medication.
 
No permanent damage to his heart.  They said it was kind-of "bruised" but that it would fully recover.  He was told he could go home in 2 days. 
He didn't have many risk factors.  Only that he's a man over 50.  There's really not much heart disease in his family and at 56 he was the youngest cardiac patient on the floor.
We are so glad Grandpa is ok and that he is still with us.

No comments: