Caleb's birthday seems to become a bigger deal every year. I guess that's how kids work. But he's been so excited ever since summer started to have his birthday.
Caleb's birthday (July 25th) I DID take the day off work. Several weeks ago, Caleb said to me, "Mom- I don't want to go to daycare on my birthday." And I don't blame him. He shouldn't have to. Luckily I had planned ahead, and actually scheduled this day off over 6 months in advance.
This year Caleb wanted a Lego birthday party. I stayed up late the night before and decorated the dining room for his party (a little tradition I've been doing since his 4th birthday), so that he could see the decorations when he woke up in the morning.
I actually got up about 6:30 that morning and made a quick trip to Walmart before Parker left for work because I didn't have enough sacks for the party favors. And I wanted to make a poster for Caleb. I must say, it's a lot easier to not HATE Walmart if you go at 6:30 in the morning. No crazy people. No lines. Full shelves. I seriously considered the possibility that maybe I should do my grocery shopping on Friday MORNINGS before Parker leaves for work instead of bring all 3 kids. It was a very peaceful morning. And although there's not much that I like about 6:30 AM.....the sunrise, and the cool morning air, plus knowing the fact that I was accomplishing things before I am usually even awake.....made me feel pretty good.
Angie was the first to wake up that morning. And the sight of the birthday decorations brought on some serious excitement. Her face lit up with a huge smile and she said, "Oh mommy! It's so BEAUTIFUL!!" She was skipping and singing to herself about Caleb's birthday, and then Caleb walked in. He stopped in the dining room, and said (with a smirk on his face) "Nice decorations." I could tell he was excited too...but he didn't want to show it. So cute.
A few days ago I asked Caleb what kind of cake he wanted. I was expecting some typical answer, "Chocolate." or "a lego cake".....but do you know what his answer was? "I want a lemon cake." I was like, "seriously?" I looked at Parker and he said, "that's what he told me too."
Ok. I guess I need to find a recipe for a lemon cake.
I found one on pinterest called, "Lemon Zest Cake." And let me just tell you....it turned out FABULOUS! I felt so awful serving it to a bunch of 7 year olds, who would have been happy with a cake-mix. This cake was so good! And I made a lego-man head with some frosting and wax paper. Then I found some lego candles at Target. Definitely the most creative cake I've ever made.
I also used another pinterest idea for some party favors. I spray-painted some baby food jars and drew a lego man face with a sharpie. I filled them with m&m's. The kids thought they were awesome!
I threw a party for Caleb at our house. We invited neighbors and friends. We had about 13 little boys in the house....it was absolute CRAZINESS! I planned a 2 hour party, and it timed out just perfectly actually. I made this poster so the kids could play "pin the head on the lego man." And the kids thought it was pretty cool.
Caleb got lots of legos! Lots of little sets (which is perfect for him) and I also got him a random lot of legos I found used on craigslist.
After serving the super-amazing lemon zest cake to the kids, I looked up at the clock and realized it had been 2 hours and TIME WAS UP! Whoo hoo! I sent all the neighbor kids home, and the rest were gone in another 15 minutes. After the party was over, Parker got home, and spent the rest of the evening helping Caleb with his new legos. I'd say the theme was a hit.....for the little boys and for daddy.
Caleb is getting so big. I can't carry him anymore. Like.....at all. Which is so crazy to me. he's still my boy.....I should be able to carry him to bed when he's fallen asleep. But he's just too heavy. And when he sits on my lap.....he only has minutes before I have to ask him to move because he's actually starting to squish me. He's so smart and such a good big brother. He helps take care of baby G, and most of the time plays pretty well with his Sister too. I'm so proud to be his mommy. Happy birthday Caleb! These last 7 years have been wonderful having you in our lives!
No comments:
Post a Comment