Fair season is here. Which means Robyn and John are in town for a week, and the kids get to spend time with their long-lost cousins. This picture was taken only minutes after we all arrived at grandma and grandpa's house. Kayleigh was SCREAMING with excitement when she saw Angie standing in the driveway. (We arrived within 5 minutes of each other actually).
These girls were in-separable the entire week! I've never seen my Angie love and play with anybody as well as she does with Kayleigh. They spent a lot of time pretending together. They made mud in grandpa's buckets and called it "soup." I think they spent HOURS outside just pretending together. I started to notice a "poopy" smell every time Angie came inside. At first I thought she was holding it in too much because she was having so much fun, and then having little accidents in her pants. But after giving her a bath and sending her back out....she came back AGAIN smelling like an outhouse. I asked Robyn if she thought the girls stunk. Turns out those buckets had some nasty old mud (and possible some septic nastiness as well) that smelled like a sewer. And the MUD was making the girls stink. One more bath for the pair of them and then we told them "NO MORE SOUP!"
The girls also managed to get into a bit of trouble together too. One afternoon, I realized they had been playing in a room with the door shut, for just a little too long. When I went in to see what all the silence was about, I found the girls looking like this!
They had gotten into my make-up, and decided to give each other make-overs. Robyn was actually gone for this one. She was over at John's mom and dad's house.....let me just say. I was pretty furious....and also laughing at the same time. They ruined my eye-shadow, my mascara, and my new bottle lf lip gloss. If make-up were cheap it'd be one thing....but it SOO isn't! I wanted to rage, and spank, and punish. But I didn't. They were just being little girls, and having so much fun together. I washed their faces, threw away my make-up and sent the picture to Robyn.
We also left the kids at grandma and grandpa's house for a couple of the week-days so they could get some more time with their cousins. And that meant Parker and I had an evening without kids. We went to the temple, and it was a very nice evening. This picture below was taken with grandpa's phone while we were away. Apparently Garrett stood with that golf club in his hands for several minutes. This is a pretty big deal, since Garrett is still not walking.
When Parker and I made it back for the weekend, we spent lots of time visiting and catching up with family. Jayne spent the week there too, so Saije got to spend time with her cousins as well. The girl is actually starting to keep up pretty well! The first weekend there, Robyn and I stayed up till 3:00 in the morning talking. I felt like a teenage girl again. I had so much fun with her! As a mommy, you just don't always get the adult chat time that you need. The kids fell asleep, and we just kept on talking. Paul even woke up around 1:00 and spent the rest of the time talking with us. I just love Robyn! When Parker and I first got married, we used to spend so much time hanging out with her and John. I remember how emotionally distraught I was when they moved to Las Vegas. I cried and cried the day they left. Robyn is a sister and a friend, and I really enjoy spending time with her.
We spent time riding the 4 wheelers:
and Parker and Caleb brought their bows to shoot:
Angie bonked her head on the corner! This girl just doesn't realize she has to look forward when she's running! The bump was pretty nasty for a couple of days!
We also spent some time over at the Turner's house and the kids got to spend some time with Ethan and Maddie as well.
We had a water-fight in the back yard:
And we watched a movie outside with the projector screen! Angie and Kayleigh played in the dark outside the entire time, and hardly even watched the movie. Those girls just couldn't resist not playing together, even if it was dark outside.
I got a video of Garrett trying to walk. He was doing really well at that point! And now he's afraid to take a step again. Now when I stand him up, he'll just stand there and laugh at me, or he'll sit down and crawl. And if you keep at it long enough, he'll just make his whole body go limp so that you can't even stand him up anymore.
On our last day in Burley, we went over to the fair. Our plan was to attend the rodeo. But I really didn't want to try to sit in a crowded stadium with Garrett. He's so difficult at church, I wasn't gonna even risk it with endless stairs and benches covered with food, soda, and sunflower seeds. Ultimately we decided to NOT go to the rodeo. We walked the fair until it was dark, and then we packed up our stuff and went home.
The following week was the Twin Falls County Fair which takes place at the fairgrounds here in Filer. The difference between these two fairs is of course SIZE. I still find it humorous at how BIG OF A DEAL those small-town county fairs are. The Cassia County fair in Burley is like a huge week-long community get together. And it's free. Honestly you spend enough money on fair food, that I don't think admission is necessary. Twin Falls county fair is a lot bigger, and admission is NOT free. As a result, our family only attends for one day instead of every evening like we do in Burley. This year, I thought it would be fun if Parker and Caleb went to see the monster trucks.
So I took it upon myself to buy the tickets, and then we all went to the fair on Wednesday after work. We took 2 cars so that I could take the little ones home as soon as they ran out of gas. I figured it wouldn't take long. Boy was I wrong. Parker and Caleb went straight over to the monster truck show, and I took Angie and Garrett to see all of the animals.
I took a lot of pictures of Angie with the animals, because I just could not get over how much she loved them! She had no fear! She would stick her hand inside the fence to pet the goats and horses. And even when they would "baaa" at her, she jumped a little and kept on petting them. I really think she may be my little 4H girl. She even liked looking at the pigs! (Which were much to noisy and stinky in my opinion).
Angie just LOVES horses. She has a tv show that she watches on Netflix called "Horseland." and she really wants to learn to ride horses. So being at the fair was very exciting for her. Our favorites were the "Draft Horses" which are some of THE BIGGEST things I have EVER SEEN! I mean I was shocked how big these horses were! Angie still wasn't intimidated by their size. She wanted to pet them, and made me tell her the name of each animal.
We spent almost 2 hours looking at animals. The monster truck show ended and Angie still wanted to keep walking around. We never did meet up with daddy and Caleb. After spending about 20 minutes trying to get ahold of Parker, I decided we'd better just leave. The fair is so crazy, especially around the carnival. Those stupid carnies try to entice your kids into playing their stupid games. It's really irritating actually. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my children at the fair....I don't need any extra help from carnies trying to lure them away. I found that the craziness of the fair is mostly in the carnival area. We found if we stick to the back where the animals and tractor displays were, there was far less people and noise to deal with. Angie discovered a pink tractor, and her first instinct was to climb under that rope and get onto the tractor. I had to reach in and pull her back. How could a pink tractor be for display only?! She was pretty upset.
In the "Ag building" I found a swimming pool full of beans and tractors for the kids to play in for a while. I'm pretty sure Garrett ate a bunch of the beans. He just couldn't resist. But he never choked, and I figured they will digest after a day or two. (I know....clearly he is my 3rd child and not my 1st. Because the fact that my baby is sitting in a pool where several other children have sat with dirty hands and feet and eating those beans.....doesn't seem to bother me in the slightest bit).
This year we didn't buy any fair food (although I seriously wanted an elephant ear), and of course didn't ride any rides. We always take a trip to Lagoon a few weeks after the fair, and the kids get to go on as many rides as they want.
The fair marks the end of summer. School starts the day after Labor day (which is the last day of the fair). I have been having this urge to just "get out" and soak in the last ounces of summer that are left before we get back to the school routine.
I have been having this strong urge to take my kids out to play at the park, or out to dinner.
Yesterday we took the family to IHOP for dinner (kids eat free) and I just can't help but feel like it's all coming to an end. I've also had this serious urge to get some canning done. This is a little difficult right now, because nobody has peaches! Our tree didn't produce any this year (and neither did my parents, or Parker's parents). I heard of a fruit stand in Twin Falls that was selling cases for $10.00 but when I got there yesterday to buy them, they were already sold out.
I'll get it done though. Maybe I can find some by Monday (since I'm off work for Labor day). This week we also took Caleb to school to meet his teacher, and find his classroom. I can't believe my boy is in 2nd grade! I still feel like he just started kindergarten!
Goodbye summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment