Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Garrett's Birthday


Garrett's birthday was on a Monday this year.  You read my post that I wrote earlier that I actually wrote on his birthday.  Lets just say I was a little bummed for having to work on my baby's birthday.  It's true, he didn't know it was his birthday and so I might as well have.  But even so.....I was thinking about him all day, and missing him. 
A year ago this beautiful boy came into our lives.  To remember that story (it's actually pretty short) click HERE.  Some things that I remember, that were NOT written in that post.  When Parker finally arrived home to take me to the hospital, I remember the drive to the hospital.  I actually remember feeling so calm.  It was so different from my drive to the hospital when Angie was born.  First of all it was in the middle of the night with her, and I remember feeling panicked.  my body was shaking so un-controllably and having fought the labor all through the night, I was pretty worn out and it a lot of pain. 
My labor with Garrett moved so quickly, that I felt so calm and peaceful.  And to top it off, as we walked into that hospital there was the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen.  And when we finally got to my room, the windows gave us a PERFECT view of that beautiful sunset.  I thought Parker took a picture of this, but I just searched his old phone pictures, and he took a video of the room, but not the sunset.  Oh well.  I remember it.  I think it was all a small glimpse of the peace and love that this boy would bring into my life. 
Some things about Garrett at 1 year.  He is still crawling.  Caleb and Angie both started walking at their first birthday.  Garrett is still not quite there yet....and I don't mind.  He's bigger than my other 2 kids were at his age.  He has always been in the 90th to 95th percentile for his size, so even though he's a BIG baby....he's still MY little baby.  And he can just keep on crawling for now.  But don't let him fool you....he's FAST at crawling.....and if you think you have time before he gets to his destination of climbing or trouble-causing....think again.  He's there before you can blink an eye. 

This boy is just the most perfect creature I have ever seen.  I love his differences.  The things that set him apart from the other kids.  The thick/reddish-blonde hair.  The curls behind his ears.  His blue eyes.  His chubby cheeks and thighs.  His perfect little teeth.  I really can't get enough of him.  He just brings me so much joy.  And he's so happy.  Garrett has recently learned something from his daddy.  Parker pretended to be shooting a toy gun once, and Garrett thought it was the funniest thing ever.  Now he does it himself.  All the time.   Here's a picture of him shooting his "gun."  I think it's almost good enough to consider it his first word.  Because he knows what it means, and will do it whenever you ask.  It's SOOO Cute!

After I got home from work on Garrett's birthday, I made him a cake.  I made a white scratch cake, and I topped it with this:
Oh my gosh!  The frosting made a good cake into a FABULOUS cake!  I topped it off with some toasted cocoanut
I made half the batch into a 9X9 cake and the rest into cupcakes.  For family night, we let the kids decorate the cupcakes and then we sang "Happy Birthday" to Garrett. 

I love this video because it captures the genuine smile on his face as he watches his family sing to him.  Garrett loves attention from his family.  Especially Caleb and Angie. 
Garrett has also started playing with Angie a little bit.  I think she likes it because she can be the boss.  And Garrett just thinks she's funny and copies whatever she does.  Last night I took Garrett into her bedroom, and the two of them played together without a fuss for over half an hour.  And I could hear their giggles from the other room. 
 
This boy is such a joy to me.  I just can't imagine life without him.  Happy birthday Baby G!

No comments: