Tuesday, August 6, 2013

High School Reunion

The middle of July was my Eagle High School class of 2003 reunion.
I thought it'd be fun to attend the adult dinner (even though I think it was a little over-priced).  My close group of friends included people from 3 different classes (2002, 2003, and 2004) but I was quite disappointed that most of my close friends from 2003 were NOT there. 
Kaila
Lauren
Kim
Johnny
Scott
I was SOOO happy that Pat and his new bride, Marissa, decided to come.  Having them there was definitely the highlight of the weekend.  It's so unfortunate that I didn't get to see my super close friends.  The biggest bummer of it all was missing Kaila.  She even lives in town, but could not attend the reunion because she was having her own family reunion.  I am just so relieved to know that since she DOES live so close, I can go see her any time I visit my parents.
 
I've decided my high school class itself is just too big.  With around 600 class members, I think it's safe to say that I didn't know most of those people then.....and I don't know them now.  But there were a few people who attended the family picnic on Saturday that it was nice to catch up with.  Mostly my old choir buddies, and others from the Eagle Stake.
 
I spent a huge majority of my spare time in High School just hiding from the crowds.  My close friends and I would eat lunch in the Seminary building, or in the Choir Room.  I know that keeping close to my friends helped me to make good decisions and to stay on a path which has made me who I am today.  Even though I didn't get to see most of these people, my reunion helped me to remember how special each of my friends were, and why I love them all so much.  Even now, when I never get to see them. 
 
Kaila is my oldest friend in the world.  We were in Mrs. Clark's class at Eagle Elementary for Kindergarten.  It was during that year that I had my first friend over to my house to play, that was NOT a family member. That friend was Kaila. And I still remember what we did.  We played with my paper dolls, and she told me her favorite color was purple.  I remember her being so quiet, but always kind.  Over 20 years have past, and she's still the same.  We both transferred to Star Elementary in 3rd grade, and were friends all through every grade till Graduation.  She wasn't the one I had over for EVERY sleep-over, but she was there for many of them.  And even though I had so many other friends come and go over the years.....she was ALWAYS there.  And it didn't matter that we went through periods where we didn't talk as much.  I was never mad at her.  She never hurt me.  And I knew no matter who else would come and go, she would always be there for me.  And so, as we celebrate 10 years since graduation, I can't help but think that the REAL thing I should be celebrating is a friend like her.  Even now, as we are adults with children of our own, I can still call her to talk....regardless of how long it's been.  She is such an example of the Savior to me.  One of the most frequent conversations we had when we were young, was about what we would be like when we grew up.  Kaila would ALWAYS say her greatest desire was to be a mother.  I've never forgotten that.  She told that to everybody.  And everything else she planned in her future, was second to that.  She has become an amazing mother.  And I have seen how one of her strongest qualities (patience) has been brought to the test.  The Lord's timing is so different from our own.  But I know that because of her patience she has been blessed.  Kaila is like my north star.  She never changes.  Our relationship never changes.   I share a huge majority of my childhood memories, with her in them and I will always love her.
Lauren came into my life at a critical time.  We were acquaintances during our first few years of High School, but when Senior Year came along, my closest friend went off to college, and I was left feeling very alone.  Lauren and I had 1st period English together, and she quickly filled the void.  I felt like I could relate to her in so many ways.  We liked the same kind of music, and books.  During our Sophomore year in choir, I remember thinking our voices were so different.  But as we spent more time together, and singing together, there came a time (for Pat's baptism actually) when we sang a duet together, and people said they couldn't tell who's voice was singing which part.  The more time we spent together, the more alike we became.  I remember her scriptures.  Completely marked over in RED.  And how she would trace over her letters.  I think she had a mark on every page.  She was such an example to me.  And she always had the right things to say when I thought my life was over because my older friends were going away to college.  She is such an accomplished musician.  Her technical skills on the piano blew me away.  I remember thinking "She's so much better than me."  And it's no wonder.  She practiced so much harder than I ever did.  We were never able to share clothes or shoes because she was so much smaller than me.  But her heart was so big.  Today she lives far away, but there are times when I still really miss her.  We used to analyze those books we read in English.  Fahrenheit 451, and Night.  She is now the most gifted photographer I have ever met, and I find myself comparing all of my family pictures to the ones she did for me 2 years ago.  Nothing has been as good.  In her adult life, she has suffered through some trials that I can't even imagine.  Her strength astounds me.  I admire her for her persistence and long-suffering.  She is such a beautiful person, and even though it seems like such a short span of time that we were so close; I cherish those moments and hold them close to my heart.
Kimber was the busy one.  She managed to be involved in EVERYTHING.  She was constantly at meetings for this club or that organization.  She was the EHS seminary president, and just seemed so BUSY BUSY BUSY!  All the time!  But she never seemed to be discouraged.  I never saw her cry (that's not to say she didn't....I mean she was a teenage girl after all).....but I cried about everything.  Kimber always had a huge smile on her face.  And long, blonde hair that would curl at the ends.  She had high standards, and boundless energy.  One year I invited her to come with me on a family camping trip to Owyhee reservoir.  She helped out more than I did.  And one morning, even decided to hike to the top of a hill by herself.  I worried about her the entire time thinking she was bound to get bitten by a snake.  (I know....what kind of friend was I that I didn't actually go WITH her?!  I really can't explain myself on that one....I don't know what I was thinking.)  But she was like that.  She'd climb this mountain, or scale a brick wall. Always proving to us that she could do anything.  And she's the one that introduced us to "apples to apples."  Her smile was so contagious.  I feel fortunate that I was able to get to know her as well as I did (which....doesn't feel like much in comparison to my other friends).  But it just goes to show....she only filled her time with things and people that were of value.  I guess I made the cut. 
The picture above is Kimber, and also Johnny.  My relationship with Johnny was pretty unique.  I think I spoke to him less than anyone.  I think you could easily count the number of words we verbally exchanged with each-other.  (It wasn't much).  I did most of my communication with Johnny over e-mails and passing notes.  If you ever met a "Peter Priesthood"....this guy was it. He carried his scriptures with him everywhere he went.  And had a quote or scripture to add to every conversation.  He always said things like, "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts." and he signed his name with "ETTE, Johnny"  ETTE stood for "endure to the end."  He read general conference talks for fun.  And that was mostly what our relationship was about.  He was like a testimony coach to me.  He was always challenging me to study this scripture or that talk.  And I always took his challenges.  We spent a lot of time writing e-mails or exchanging instant-messages over the computer.  But it was always about church stuff.  I didn't know how to talk to him about anything else.  But he helped me to learn that my testimony is my own.  And that I have to earn it, and build its strength.  He taught me how to study my scriptures better, and helped me to learn that I could open the windows of the Spirit when I wrote in my journal.  He was such a good example to me.  I've spoken with him once since we've been married (once again, through instant messenger actually) and he said to me how he is embarrassed about how he acted in high school.  He said he was too up-tight.  Too strict.  And looking back, I suppose it may be so.  But I always admired him for his high standards.  And although he was a bit of a "goodie-two-shoes" I always knew he was an example I could follow.  I hope he doesn't regret what he was like too much.  I never met another person like him.  Even today. 
 
Scott didn't enter our circle until Senior year either.  His dad was the Eagle stake president, and even though he was in my ward for almost my entire childhood....in some ways I still feel like I hardly knew him.  He was always so quiet around me.  But Senior year, he started to come out of his shell.  And some of my fondest memories are of rolling on the floor laughing at whatever Scott was doing.  He was a talented musician, but NEVER a show-off.  He was a great piano player, and although he tried not to admit it, he could sing too.  We finally convinced him to join choir for the 2nd semester of our Senior year, and he was able to go on our choir trip to Disneyland.  That trip was so much fun! And Scott always seemed to have the inside-jokes that made everybody laugh.  He also had a burning testimony, and extremely high standards.  I remember when I asked him to "Sweethearts" my Junior year, and as we were walking away from taking pictures, he whispered in my ear "Thank you for wearing a modest dress."  I've never forgotten that.  Teenage girls get the "modesty" lecture from parents, and young women's leaders all the time.  But I remember how great it was to hear it from a young man.  One that I admired.  His words that day helped me pick out my dress for every dance following that Sweethearts Ball.  Most of my memories of Scott are ones of laughter, but he also stood as a beacon for standards.  His parents had some rules that were more-strict compared to the rest of us (which I thought was odd.....considering he was the youngest of 7 children), but he never complained or spoke ill of his parents.  Today he is the one I communicate with the least.  He's my only friend not on Facebook, and even though I've seriously considered deleting my own profile many times.....it has been nice to keep in touch with these old friends.  I hope I will get to get back in touch some day.  He was an awesome guy.

High school seems so long ago, but when I read my journals, or look at those old pictures it's like it was yesterday.  I'm so grateful for the friends that I had, and the imprint that they made on my life.  I hope I never forget them.
 
Below is the only picture I got from my reunion weekend.....there's a couple faces that I'm not sure I could tell you the names.  But Pat's face is there....even if it is a hairy one.....and I'm so glad I got to re-connect with him that weekend.  
I've decided that since the High School reunions are just too big, that maybe I should try a reunion of my own.  One with just my close friends.  A lot like the one we did back in May.  I'm thinking we'll do it at my mom and dad's house, after my sister and her family have moved out.  Maybe in a couple years.  It was so good to take the time to remember these people.  I only hope next time a get-together is scheduled, we are able to see a few more faces.

No comments: