After the labor-day craziness came the first day of school. Caleb loves watching Discovery and NOVA so much, he's sticking to his story: he wants to be a Marine Biologist. I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty proud. Most kids say they want to be an artist at this age. But my boy already has high hopes for himself. And I honestly believe he could do it! He's so smart!
I guess I'll take a minute and write a few things about my Caleb. He's getting so big. I mean. The kid's getting HEAVY. I can't carry him anymore, and when he sits on my lap, I want him to get off cuz he puts my legs to sleep. He hates getting woke up for school. He's often cranky and does not move very fast in the mornings. Once he's had breakfast, he often perks right up and is quite pleasant. But on mornings when I'm running late, and I wake him up late and tell him to hurry before he's even woken up......he gets pretty upset. (Honestly who wouldn't....)
Caleb loves learning about animals and yesterday when I picked him up after work, he informed me that he learned about spiders. "Mom. Did you know spiders are actually called arachnids?"
"Yep, I did."
"And did you know that arachnids have 2 body parts and 8 legs?"
"Yeah, I knew that."
"And MOST insects have wings, but spiders are NOT insects.
"like flies?"
"Yeah. The flies are REALLY bad this time of year."
"YES they are!" (As I swat at a fly while driving in the car.)
"Mom. Did you know that scorpions are also another type of arachnids?"
".......no."
I'm constantly getting schooled by my 7 year old.
The other day I was getting Caleb dressed for school. The playground is covered in tiny little rocks that Caleb brings home in his shoes every day. The pebbles make it into his pants, socks, and therefore my laundry machines. My lint filter fills with rocks faster than it does lint. Anyway. After a few weeks of school, I noticed Caleb hadn't been bringing home NEARLY as many rocks as he did last year. "Caleb. There's not as many rocks in your shoes this year. Are you playing somewhere different at recess? What have you been doing?"
I was NOT prepared for his answer.
"Oh. Well I've been running in the grass. I chase girls and they chase me."
I'M SORRY WHAT?!!!!!
I started laughing!
"You chase GIRLS on the playground?!"
He suddenly got embarrassed. "Well...not ALL the time...."
I realized what was happening.
"Caleb, it's ok to tell me the truth. And honestly, I think it's ok to chase girls at school. Just don't kiss them.."
He laughed.
"Right. Cuz we don't kiss girls unless it's our mom."
"Right."
I told him to not be embarrassed and that it's always more important to tell mom the truth. I apologized for laughing at him.
Just yesterday I received an e-mail from Caleb's teacher: Mrs. Florian. Here's what it said.
I was just e-mailing to let you know what a great student Caleb is in my class. We have been in school for a couple of weeks now and I am amazed with the wealth of information he has to share on school related topics. He is working really hard on his reading and he always seems to know the answer to my math questions as well. You have one smart cookie! He is very polite and respectful too....
Just wanted to let you know how proud I am of him, have a great evening.
Just wanted to let you know how proud I am of him, have a great evening.
I was overjoyed to read this e-mail. Mom's always want to hear praise about their kids. Especially from someone like a teacher! Caleb is struggling a little with reading. Nothing too serious. We didn't work on it over the summer, and so he's taking an extra reading class with about 11 other students from his class each day. I'm so proud of him and I love him so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment