Since there is no younger sibling to take the place, Caleb still sleeps in a crib. And it's been just fine. But wouldn't you know, with a two-year-old there's always something that throws a kink in your lovely routines. Caleb knows how to climb out of his crib. He's known how for several months, and after one or two good talks and little spankings he didn't do it again. But about two weeks ago, Caleb decided that he was going to climb out of bed for EVERY nap. And as a mother, who just loves naptime, this isn't something that's going to end without a fight. So I started by putting him back in bed after a serious talk. (it used to be that a stern voice would make him cry). But he would do it again. Then it was a stern talk and time out for getting out of bed. He persisted. And then I spanked him, AND put him in the corner. No go. The child was STILL getting out of bed for every nap. Bedtime he wouldn't, but naptime seemed to be dwindling from our daily routine. After several days of spanking, time-out and no change. I talked to my sister, Anna, about my little problem. It was getting hard for me, because each time I would raise my voice louder and louder. I caught myself yelling at my child more than I ever dreamed I would (at least at the age of two anyway...). And I didn't like it. PLUS! (lets not forget the most important part here...) it wasn't working. Anna suggested I use something important to him as leverage. And then it came to me...............THE BLANKET. This boy has a serious attachment to his blanket. So today, I put him down for a nap and when he got out of bed, I took his blanket away and put him in time out. He was hysterical! After two minutes (I heard somewhere a good amount of time in time-out is a child's age) of extreme crying I sat him on my lap and told him what he did wrong, and why his blanket was gone. Then I gave him his blanket back and put him in bed again. I told him if he got out of bed again I'd take his blanket again, and this time I wouldn't give it back. I hope he understands. Since then he hasn't made a sound. I can only hope he's actually taking a nap. It seems, the correct leverage might be the solution to my problem (for now). I hope he doesn't make me take it away again...for good. Honestly, the terrible twos really can be terrible sometimes. He's a great kid, but he's learning boundries and defiance. And he tests me! I can't wait till he's three....and a half. I've heard they're much better by then.
Oh P.S. Sorry the posts aren't as frequent. I'm working now, and in six days I'll be working full-time (finally). I'll post when I can, but don't expect too much from me till I get into a new routine!
6 comments:
To whom it may concern:
The blanket threat didn't work. He got out of bed again. And when I took his blanket, he didn't care. He's now sitting on the floor playing with his truck. So, maybe the problem is ME. Maybe he's just at that age, where he doesn't get a nap every day. Cuz honestly, it's not like he's terrible on days he doesn't get a nap. In fact, I really couldn't compare the way he acts when he does vs. when he doesn't get a nap. It's pretty much the same. It's not like he even NEEDS a nap...I just like the serenity. But, I know it won't be as big of a deal about not taking a nap as soon as I give up and quit caring. Why does he have to grow up?!
Oh darn. Yeah, maybe he is just is ready to quit the naps. I don't know though, all I do know is I am not ready for Taylor to get into those terrible twos! Good Luck with whatever you decide to do next!
Well he is certainly not too young to quit taking naps every day, but a nap is a hard thing for a mom to give up. Lydia quit taking 2 naps about 5 months ago, and that was a hard adjustment.
Maybe you can just do quiet time. tell him he dosent have to sleep but he needs to play quietly, maybe play in his room, or watch a movie. It works with some kids.
I was thinking YAY! The Blanket thing worked. Bummer. You know, Dejah quit taking naps at 2 1/2 yrs old. It was a fight everyday, then I just gave up. I learned to "read" when she really needed one and when she didn't. This lady in my ward had a CD player in her daughters room and would put in a special kids CD and told her that she had to play quietly in her room until the music was done...about 1 hour. That way she still got her "serinity". With Dejah, she had to sit quietly and watch a movie. So that is what she does now while Mycah is napping. Repition is the trick, just pick something that "WORKS" and stick to it. :>
I had to laugh when I went to comment and read your update. I can just picture the little twirp sitting there playing on the floor with not a care in the world...even his beloved blanket! I am going to have a hard time with no nap too! Especially since that's when I get a lot of work done. I'll know who to come to for advice though :)
Glad to hear that you got are going to be working full-time. Your patience is paying off :) Tydon is in a big boy bed. We ended up getting him a Full so if we have family come stay they have a bed to sleep in... Of course he gets up for naps and sometimes won't go to bed at night. I just had to be consistent with him. I tried time out, spanking, everything... it would eventually work, but was exhausting. We finally got the door knob covers and when he sees that its there he knows there is no hope and just stays in bed. It was rough the first night. He cried for a half hour, but now it is a life saver!!
Post a Comment