Sunday, January 23, 2011

Elder Nelson

Today Elder Russell M. Nelson came to our stake conference here in Filer. Pretty awesome I thought. It wasn't even a regional conference, it was just our stake (I am not sure why....but that's the way it was.) I invited my parents and Grandma Willis to come down and listen. So they arrived yesterday, and we all went to a session in the temple. We had dinner and then visited for the rest of the evening.
This morning we got up and had breakfast and got ready. We were supposed to be in our seats at 9:00 and it started at 9:30. Mom, dad, and grandma went at 8:45 (thinking they'd go early and save seats)....no. 8:45 put them 2 rows in front of the stage......yeah. Apparently they should've shown up at 8:15. The conference was really good. I just can't get over how lucky we were to get to listen to a prophet of God in our OWN building!

While Elder Nelson was speaking, he asked the primary children to all stand up so he could see them. Of course.....even standing on their chairs they weren't much taller than the heads in front of them. So he asked them to raise their hands. Caleb stuck his arms way up in the air and wiggled his fingers. Then he asked those children to sing "I am a child of God". Wow. Something about primary children singing ALWAYS gets to me. I sat and cried while I watched my little boy sing the song he knew so well. So powerful.

Elder Nelson spent a lot of time talking about things we should be teaching our children. Like how to pray, and to gather for family home evening. He talked about the struggles of gathering his ten children for family night each week. His work schedule was busy because he was a heart surgeon. Their family prayer and scripture study was at 6:30 AM. Ick. But even though it was difficult, and probably not always done as well as it should be......all ten of his children (as he reports) have family scriptures and prayers with their own children, better than he ever did with them. But the foundation was made. And it made a difference.
I was so glad we had the opportunity to hear the words of an apostle at stake conference today. I hope I can remember the things he taught.

1 comment:

Jill and Travis said...

So cool! Filer of all places for him to be! :)