Thursday, July 8, 2010

Everything I know.....

Everything I know about roses, I learned from my sister. Melissa. I just had to share with you some of the beautiful flowers that are growing in my yard.
I'm no expert, but here's some things I do know.
#1. Roses usually grow in triads. You'll see three little rose heads come from one branch. This isn't a very good picture, but I think it illustrates my point:

If you pop off the two small buds on the side so that the one large one is left to grow alone, it'll grow bigger and more beautiful. And when it's ready, you'll have a single long-stem rose to cut instead of a triad.

#2. If you pop off all extra leaves and thorns when you cut the rose to enjoy in a vase.....the flower's strength goes into the blossom instead of the thorns and leaves.

#3. I would say this is the most important thing I know about roses..... you MUST get them into water in less than 10 seconds after they have been cut. Otherwise the ends will seal and they won't drink any water. So.....if you can't get it into water immediately, make sure you cut the end again before putting it into your vase.

I love my flowers!! They're so pretty!

1 comment:

Melissa and Tory Hebdon said...

Beautiful flowers! Love ya Hebs.
Mel