Thursday, September 11, 2008

De-Cribbing the Two-Year-Old

Before I explain WHY I'm about to make this post, I guess it's about time I put this on the blog. I've been stalling......cuz I am not sure I wanted it broadcasted. But since my blog is kinda like my journal I guess I'd better just get it out there. Two weeks ago I lost my job. I know....I was only there for three weeks, so technically it was all probationary employment anyway. I don't think I did anything wrong (at least that's what he said) but he'd just bought the practice, and hired a hygienist way before he even thought about what it was gonna cost him. So, after three weeks he realized he couldn't afford me. And he let me go. So now I'm looking for a job again. And I have a husband in school, and a two-year-old......and no income! SUCH A GOOD FEELING! Not! So now I'm searching for a job again.....but the only problem is that while I "had a job" I got like three phone calls about other jobs....and I turned them all down, cuz I HAD A JOB! I don't even remember who they were, cuz I didn't write anything down....cuz....I HAD A JOB! So now that I don't, and I'm searching, there isn't a single dentist in the treasure valley that's looking for a hygienist. Thanks Apollo College! Since that stupid program started the Boise area has been SATURATED, and folks like me with a four year degree are powerless against the jobless market.
So on Sunday I was on the phone with Parker, and he was pretty lonely. So I decided, since I don't have work keeping me here....I can find a job in Burly just as easy as I can in Boise. I want to work in Boise, but that doesn't mean I have to be there. So I took the phone book with me and I've been doing all my job hunting online and on the phone so I can hang out with my husband for a week or so. (Or however long I want really).
So here at the in-law's the baby cribs are a little smaller than standard....needless to say, the kid gets out. So for the past three nights I've been lying next to Caleb on the queen-size for bed and naptimes to get him to fall asleep. And it takes forever! And then he never seems to sleep as deeply as usual, so in the middle of the night he just gets up and comes into our room.....like twice a night! I've always been so proud that my kid almost always sleeps through the night. But since he's not in the crib, that hasn't been the case. And after a few days of that.....it starts to take its toll on you as a mother. So now I'm here, with a sleepy headache (the one that feels like a constant pinch on the frontal part of your head) and I'm hanging out with a two-year-old who NEVER SEEMS TO RUN OUT OF ENERGY! He's so exhausting!
So that's what's been going on here. Boy I thought getting a job was gonna be a walk in the park....and it was......for the first one. You just never know what life's gonna hit you with next.
Okay, the next post will be better I promise.......pictures and everything. I just thought I should write about what things have been like lately.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, bum deal with the job, but it's not so bad, espically if you can see Parker more often.
When Parker called Mark on Sunday it really made him miss Parker. He gave us both your numbers, so I have your number now! Wahoo!

Matthew and Elizabeth Dykman said...

Caleb looks like he is an energetic one. We would like to meet him sometime. Little boys are so much fun! Liz and I are just keeping busy with school, teaching, and working and watching little Patrick grow. You'll have to see him sometime. Yeah, I would like the LG Dare, but the Voyager will definitely suffice (it'll have to cuz that's the most we can afford at the moment) and it'll do pretty much all the Dare can, just a bit bigger. Plus I like the QWERTY keyboard.