Thursday, October 23, 2008

Um.....I Made That!!

About a month ago, I asked my mom if she'd make Caleb a halloween costume. She said, "No, but I'll help YOU make one." And I said, "Even better!!" See what my mom didn't realize was that she tried to teach my two older sisters how to sew, but when they pooped out and lost interest, she never even tried to teach me. So my sewing career before today consisted of a quilt, and a pair of pajama pants.
Well, today mom was home from work, so she showed me how to read a pattern, and I spent pretty much THE ENTIRE DAY saddled to the sewing machine. I found the pattern at JoAnn's for 99 cents, and I chose flanel fabric so he could wear them as pajamas once halloween is over.

A few things I learned about sewing.......I ripped this thing apart enough that I could've made the costume TWICE, for all the mistakes I made. And.....BUTTONS SUCK! As a kid, I loved the buttons, cuz it's really not that hard......sew in the hole. End of story. But did your know you have to make button HOLES?! Yeah! And it's a pain. Plus the buttons are always the last part, and you're pooped out by then, and it's just annoying that you're sitting there sewing by hand when you cluld be using a machine. However, we finally finished at about 9:45 tonight, and I kept Caleb awake so I could get some pictures before he went to bed.

He absalutely LOVES his costume! And he had no problem at all with standing there and saying, "CHEESE!" while I took my pictures.
While I was sewing the hat, he got so excited he kept trying to pull it outa my hands before I was done. Isn't he a cutie?!! And I just have to add that he looks SOOOOOOOO much like Parker in these pictures, it's almost scary. The kid's a little clone.
For halloween we're gonna paint his face, and he can wear his snowboots, and we'll teach him how to say, "trick or treet!" And we'll take him to my sister's neighborhood. Although, I'm kinda nervous, cuz I NEVER give Caleb candy. He gets a few m&m's once in a while, or a bite of someone's chocolate bar. And he had his first sucker at Dejah's birthday party in August. So I'm interested to see what he's gonna do with a whole sack full. I know what'll happen......I'll end up eating it. That's all I need, I've already got cavities and no job........I can feel 'em. Hurts when I eat sugar. Yeah, maybe Parker will be eating the candy.



4 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, great job with the costume! He looks so cute. And if you don't want to give him all that candy you can employ the switch witch.
He gets his candy day after halloween and then that night if he stick it out side his bedroom door the Switch Witch will come and switch it out for a cheap dollar store toy. ...Works for some kids, then Mom has bribing / potty candy.

Chelsi said...

Great job on the costume!

Jill and Travis said...

Heather, you post too fast for me to comment on every one! I love it though! Here's my list:
- Love the monkey swing--I told Ethan when his arms joints are stronger he can do that too.
- Underwear and boots--love the combination.
- I wish we had a leaf pile to play in. I love the colors in your pictures.
- Yay for sitting on the potty!
- Caleb's costume is so cute! And smart thinking making something he can actually wear later on. Love it!
- I think I covered everything except miss you guys! Thanks for keeping us posted!

The Laws said...

I love the costume! I was going to buy some camo flannel for a blanket for a christmas present and they didn't have enough...you must have beat me to it! Great job!!