Saturday, November 15, 2008

How is that fun????

The internet was down all day today! When we called the people, they said the internet was down with all of AT&T and since parker's parents go through Safelink (which aparently goes through AT&T) we had no internet. Then we got in the car and the talk-radio show was doing this thing on cyber-warfare. And it was talking about how people can break down communication by taking down the internet, and how bad that would be, and how it could be the next step in warfare. I wonder if that show was brought on cuz the internet was down today?..... was anybody else's internet down today? Just wondering.....how big was it? Okay, this is NOT what this post is about.

Parker and his dad, and his brother left tonight to go on their annual elk hunt. Now, I totally love Parker, and I love that he loves to hunt. I also love that he doesn't make me go with him. I'm sorry, but to me it just doesn't make sense (please forgive me Parker, I know you don't see it this way......) but they spent HOURS packing (after a full day of work and school). They dressed up in their camoflauge and orange (Oh YEAH! Don't even get me STARTED on that one! What's the point of camo if you're gonna wear neon orange?!!! Holy cow I don't get that one at all!). Anyway, they packed lunches, and tons of clothes, and like four guns and three ammo cans (those things are HEAVY!) and then they get up at like four in the morning, and hike up a mountain.....for HOURS. FOUR IN THE MORNING!! I'm sorry, but not only is that way too early for humans, but it's rude to the deer. Then the sun will come up, and they'll be at a top of a mountain and it'll be this awesome guy moment. It's quiet. It's beautiful. And IT'S FREEZING COLD! Time to keep moving. They'll hike all day and probably only see a couple of deer/elk and they'll not be ones they wanna shoot. At the end of the day they'll be hiking the MILES AND MILES they walked away from the car, and just as they're about to pack it up, they'll see the animal they want and they'll take it down. It's just before dark now, and now they have to drag the thing across the mountainside. Then they'll get their knives out and do whatever they do to those things to make it so they can take it home. It'll take HOURS after dark so they'll do it all by flashlight, and then they'll come home..........covered in mud and dirt and smelling like sweat. They'll track mud into the house and then procede to hang the animal up-side down in the garage. Then they'll dump ALL the stuff in the house, and once again, it will take HOURS to clean up and six loads of laundry. And then they get to find someone who'll butcher the thing. (Which is NOT for free, no it's not even cheap.) And then a week later, you have to go and pick up all this meat.....THAT DOESN'T EVEN TASTE GOOD! And then you, the wife, get to find ways to cook it for an entire year.....and just as you fry up the last package, it's time to go hunting again. I'm sorry, but how is that fun???!

4 comments:

Sheri said...

*snickering* I loved how you describe the hunt. Garry isn't a big hunter, and whenever I hear about anyone hunting, I think heaven my husband isn't interested. Truly a blessing.

Patrick Collier said...

Hahaha... Heb's although I can see where Parker and his father are coming from I have never been into hunting, or fishing for that matter. Partly because of the things you describe. I love to go camping, hiking, rock climbing and the whole slew of outdoor recreation, I don't think I would kill an animal unless I had to for either protection or for survival, and if I had to for survival I think I would go after something small like a rabbit or a squirrel. To me big game just seems like way too much work. With that said hunting is probably the oldest fraternal organization on the planet and I think that is why it appeals to a lot of men. They are taking part in something that is hundreds of years old, man vs. beast. plus it involves camping, hiking and guns... three things that most guys get pretty excited over anyways... So in short if Parker likes it, well kudos to him. I am with you give me any outdoor activity and I will likely do it; just don't expect me to go on any hunting trips any time soon.

The Laws said...

Wow...you just described how I grew up! My brother and dad were crazy hunters...and I grew up eating nothing but deer and elk...I hear ya!! Glad Justin isn't that into hunting!!

Sarah said...

ha ha ha That cracked me up. I don't mind the meat, as long as it's cook well. Mark dosen't have his dear yet but we did get a small hunk of deer meat from someone. He BBQed it a while back and I gotta say it was pretty gross, I coudltn eat it. Then thsi week he took the rest out cut it into little chunks and soaked it in milk, for a day then in salt water for another day or two, and we made deer meat stew today. I gotta say that stew as pretty dang awesome. The meat tasted GREAT, and it was so moist and tender. So I say bring on teh deet, but Mark will butcher his him self with teh help of a friend, so that's not so bad.