Sunday, May 2, 2010

2. Step out of the box

Day Two of "Blog a day in May"

Last fall Parker shot a deer. A BIG deer. Remember?

Well....one thing about shooting a deer is that you have all this meat. I tried eating it when he shot his first deer back in that first year we were married. Yuck. No thank you.
But it's free meat. And you HAVE to use it. This year we tried to do something different with that meat. We heard it's the best way to get the "gamey" flavor out. It's called CAN IT!
I got this picture from the web.....but it's exactly what that can of meat looks like. And I'm making it into a stew as we speak. I'm kinda proud of myself. Parker said he honestly thought I'd never do anything with that can. But here I am cooking it! I've heard that it's considered pre-cooked once you get it canned, so honestly you could eat it straight outa the can if you wanted to. No thanks. I'll cook it twice. :) Then maybe it won't taste like deer.

I'll leave a comment after I eat it (I'm currently waiting for the vegetables to soften). I'll let you know how it tastes! :) Hopefully good or I'll NEVER try anything new with stupid deer meat ever again. :)

3 comments:

Shelly said...

egh!! You are brave, that looks nasty!! Maybe you should take a picture of your deer meet stew once it's all done. Maybe that won't look as...well, ew. :)
Props to you for trying though!

Heather and Parker Lyons said...

The meat was so tender it fell apart like pot roast. Didn't taste a bit like deer. It's decided. Deer meat is good for 2 things: cans and jerky :) The stew was great. I'm eating leftovers for lunch today!

Sarah said...

I agree, it's the ONLY way to eat it. not only is it tolerable, but it's actually really good. We liked the BBQ sandwiches too.