Monday, May 24, 2010

22. "Ah Chick-a-mala!"

Day 22: A Blog A Day In May

I'm wondering how many of you have heard the word used in my title today. I'm sure if you're a family member on the Harris side, you've heard it.....for anyone else it probably sounds like jibberish. It's a word my great-grandma Harris would use to basicly say, "Back off RIGHT now...don't touch that or I'll kill you." It's a word to be said to the child sticking their finger in the frosting of the birthday cake....or eating the bowl of olives before thanksgiving dinner is served." And when Grandma Harris said it.....you WOULD back off because she WOULD kill you.

Well....when Parker joined this family about 6 years ago....I'm sure there was a fair share of weirdness he had to get used to. One small portion of which included Harris jargon....specifically "Ah Chick-a-mala" When he first heard it, he was so confused....because I said it as I was slapping his hand that was reaching for a cookie before dinner. I really don't say it that often....but the other day it happened again. (Once again....cookies). He asked me, "did you just say 'chick-a-mala' to me?"
"Yes I did...now back off"

I'm wondering how many more words there are like this in my vocabulary. Anyone want to share theirs?

No comments: