Monday, May 10, 2010

9. Shut down the factory

Day 9: A Blog A Day In May

Well once again, I'm late in getting this post out. Blogging every day is HARD! Especially when you're not home for the weekend! I'm gonna blog about Mother's day in my next post.....I left my memory card reader at my mom's house.

Yesterday was kinda frustrating when it comes to being a breast-feeding mom. I never got nursing down very well (with Caleb OR Angie) and since I have a nice pump, I've always just pumped and then bottle-fed my babies. Now Angie is almost 4 months old and I'm running out of milk. I froze every extra drop I produced in the beginning. And I have 900 ounces stored up. But if she were to only drink what I have stored up, it'd be gone in about 6 weeks. And then we have to switch to formula. With Caleb, I dried up at about 5 months. I don't know why I can't keep it going till they don't need it anymore. But formula wasn't a big deal with Caleb, because I was on WIC. Now I'm all grown-up with a real job that makes too much. But with a house payment, and 2 children I can't exactly afford ten cans a month either. WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE?!! Does anybody else think it's wrong to charge soooo much for something to keep your baby alive?! It makes me sick.

Last night I went to pump before I got in bed (like I always do). I sat there and sat there....nothing came out. Super. This is the trend I guess. I was able to get quite a bit this morning when I pumped before work.....but I have a feeling if I have to drop down to pumping only 3 times a day instead of 4, it's only a matter of time before that liquid gold is gone. It's not like I enjoy having to pump several times a day. In fact I hate it. It's annoying. But like I said, it's liquid gold and I have to keep it going as long as I can. But the factory is shutting down. The days are numbered.....and the number is small.

I saw that infant formula was QUITE affordable at Costco. So I think that's where we'll be buying it once it comes to that. I have quite a few samples still....and tons of cupons for like 5 dollars off the name-brand stuff. So once all that's gone, we'll switch to good o'l kirkland.

5 comments:

The Shumakers said...

Just keep trying! I had to do the exact same thing with gavin and some days I'd hardly get anything out....make sure you drink an extra lot....and then try pumping after a warm shower..sometimes that helped me.....try supplementing half formula and half breast milk with Angie now to see if she can tolerate the Kirkland forumal..and then just start stocking up on it so it's not a HUGE depletions of finances once she's on full formula. We're going to have to do formula too..hopefully not solely, but i totally hear ya on the cost of that stuff!

Shelly said...

costco formula us awesome! It works just as good as the expensive stuff and is LITERALLY 1/2 the price!! Once we saw it there, we never bought formula anywhere else. Our kids were picky too, going on and off soy, but the kirkland stuff never bothered them!
Good luck!

Robnz Fam said...

Hi Heather! You probably don't remember me at all. I think we met in A Child's World in Burley one time like 3 1/2 years ago. I remember that I was pregnant and it seemed like Robyn was just barely pregnant too and that's why you girls were there. Anyway, Seth and I went to High School with Parker and Robyn. I saw that you had left a comment on Brittany Staley's blog and was so excited that I knew you! She is in our ward here in Provo. Anyway, just wanted to say HI and let you know we have a blog too!
scrobins.blogspot.com
-Carrol

Robnz Fam said...

p.s. looks like you had another baby...a girl! Congrats! She is beautiful!!

Jill and Travis said...

Bummer! I can't believe how expensive formula is either. They know you need it, so they can charge you through the nose. Try not to stress out about it too much--stress leads to a decrease in milk production, too. Not sure if you have or not, but maybe try getting Angie to latch on a couple times in the evening and become a human pacifier. Maybe that will increase your production as well (I have heard pumpning is not the same stimulation).
I am enjoying reading your posts each day. Keep it up! And you crack me up with the purse thing. I am waiting for a similar shoe post. :)