Day 28: A Blog A Day In May
Well I've been done breastfeeding for almost 3 weeks now, and my hair is still falling out. For those of you who don't know....and maybe it's just me. But I think I remember my sisters telling me it happens to them, so somehow I think not....after having a baby your hair falls out. I don't know if it's from the trauma of delivering the baby, or if it's about the breast milk. I think it's the latter. Breast milk is full of nutrients and even fat cells to help your baby grow. It takes a lot out of a woman's body to make breast milk.....because it's got the same chemical make-up no matter who you are. And your body won't make un-healthy breast milk. So if the goods aren't coming from your diet, then it comes from your body instead. I'm pretty sure this is why back in the depression, nursing mom's would have a lot of dental problems, because they didn't have the nutrients in their body to fight cavities or gum disease. This is also my philosophy for why I've dried up eary. If your diet is questionable....meaning not extreamly healthy....and the goods aren't there for making breast milk....your body won't make it un-healthy....it'll just make less. And busy me, I really do try to eat well.....but I give in to poor meals and fast-food on more than one occasion. And whatever nutrients your body needs to hold onto your hair...I'm pretty sure that goes into the milk too (this is all my personal theory of course)...and so it falls out. A LOT. You can't understand this unless it happens to you. Hand-fulls come out in the shower. Then I brush it once I get out of the shower. It FILLS up the brush. I throw it all in the sink till I'm done fiddling with my hair, and then I'll throw it all away when I'm done. But more comes out when I blow-dry.....and then the MOST comes out when I flat-iron. It's a wonder there's any hair left in my head at all! I'm just wondering how long it takes my body to recover. Because after this phase, comes the baby hairs. It all starts to grow back....and when it does, they're all short little things that stick out everywhere, and make you look rediculous in a pony-tail. As of now, I HATE wearing my hair down, because every time I run my fingers through my hair, I pull out a hand-full! And it's EVERYWHERE! All over the floors, on my clothes. I find it in the baby blankets, and on the couch after I've sat in it. Augh. I can't wait for it to quit. I feel bad for Parker. He's gotta live with it too.
3 comments:
I think your hair falling out has more to do with having been pregnant rather than breastfeeding. Because of the increased hormones when you are pregnant, your hair has an extended growing period--so less hair falls out. Then two to three months after having a baby, your hair starts getting back into its normal cycle and all that hair starts shedding. From talking to other new mommies, some girls notice way more hair falling out than others. Sounds like you might be one of those who really, really notices it. :) I enjoy my "full" head of hair when I am pregnant, and I am so sad when I notice the clumps in the shower.
I never even thought of that! I'm sure you're right.
I agree with the first comment. I bareley nursed with Logan...still...3 months later...clumps and clumps...and more clumps. I lost so much hair! My hair is still in the "baby growth" stage and is SUPER thin...and guess what next baby is coming in about 10 weeks! I am preparing myself to "think short". I'm seriously going to be bald after this baby. I'm really scared.
Post a Comment