Sunday, May 9, 2010

8.Daughters of Eve

Okay, yesterday I learned something about myself. And it's not necessarily something to be proud of.....just funny I guess. I've always liked purses. And Parker used to tease me because at one point I owned quite a few purses. I used to work at Payless Shoe Source, and they do a pretty good job on those name-brand knock-offs. I pretty much bought one every season. Always cheap-o's though.....nothing ever 15 or 20 dollars.

Then yesterday, I went shopping with my mom. Now, mom doesn't buy seasonal purses. She gets one nice one every few years until it's worn out. I was actually with her when she bought her last purse, and I remember she paid a pretty penny for the thing. But it served her well, and she used it for over four years. So while I was shopping yesterday, we decided just to look at some in the department store and see if there was anything she liked. I walked all through that bag department and then stopped at the cutest bag I'd seen. Wouldn't you know....out of ALL THOSE BAGS in that store, I was attracted to the biggest name and the highest price. (AND I HAD NO IDEA WHAT NAMES WERE "GOOD" UNTIL YESTERDAY). I've never let myself look at them before. I suppose it's the woman in me.....except that not even all women would understand. And definately not men. The cutest most beautiful handbags I've ever seen! And all with a price tag that would send Parker into a FRENZY at the thought of paying so much to carry your junk. But the more I looked at them, the more I liked them. I guess I can't help it. Of course I didn't buy one. I'd rather have clothes for my kids than a fancy handbag.....but if money wasn't an issue......I could see myself dropping a few hundred dollars for a bag I really loved. Sorry. It's true. It was really quite funny. My mom and I oogling over these expensive....but ADORABLE purses. I even asked her...."mom....why do we like these things so much? It's just a bag after all......why would we be willing to pay so much money for a name-brand purse?" And she sighed. "I don't know.....because we're daughters of Eve I guess." It made me laugh. Maybe somday I'll get to carry a purse like one of these. Here's some pictures of the ones that I really liked.

Can you tell I'm attracted to this one particular brand and style?!! And wouldn't you know it's the most expensive in the store?! I know there's more expensive bags out there.....but you've gotta like go to vegas or something to find those. Anyway. Call me crazy that's fine. I think I'm crazy too. But it doesn't change the fact that I love 'em! And that I want one!
Sigh.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Heather, you're so sweet. Thanks for your sweek comment on my blog. I'm glad you liked the book. I haven't read it yet because our life is crazy right now - we're moving - so, I'm going to wait until it settles down again to read it. But, I'm sure I'll have much of the same reaction. I'm going to share what you said with my Dad. He'll love it. Nice to have this blog to catch up with you. :)

Demo Kitchen said...

Um... I LOVE purses too. That's all. I totally relate, I actually just got myself a new purse a week ago and I'm lovin' it!