Monday, May 17, 2010

17. Spray Painted

Day 17: A Blog A Day In May
By request of my cousin, Shelly, this post is about all the things that are spray painted in my house. Notice they're all back. It's cuz black was all I knew. Thanks to Shelly, though, I will be buying some white spray paint, and doing a lot more shopping at the DI. She has opened my eyes to spray painting.
So first: my Super Saturday project. Actually, I'm not gonna lie.....my mother-in-law made it for me....but it's spray painted, so it counts!
Next: (one of my favorites!) Caleb's headboard. We found this at the DI for five bucks! It was white and all scratched up. But after some black spray paint, it looks nice and new! And it makes it look like my boy isn't sleeping on nothin' but a mattress.
Next: we found this one at DI too. Actually Parker found it at DI. He actually had this piece of furniture before he even met me. When we were dating, it held his ghetto TV in his room. It was nasty brown and scratched. But....add some spray paint and new hardware...and VOILA!
Next, I'm kinda proud of this one too. This mirror came with the house. And I'll tell you why....because it weighs like fifty pounds! No kidding, I have NO CLUE why it's so heavy, but it is. It was also brown when we got it. But some black spray paint, and now it matches the rest of the house.
Next are the shelves. I inherited them from my mom. She was gonna throw them out. They were also brown. They weren't painted at all actually, just solid wood....cheap wood at that. And now they're black, and they hold some of Parker's artifacts from his mission. Also notice the canoe fishing picture frame with no picture in it? Yeah, we registered for that picture frame for our wedding! We consider ourselves frequent outdoors-family and regular fishers. But we have no pictures to put in it.....seven years later.
The next two pictures are of things that will be painted soon. This dresser was a garage sale find. The guy was asking like 45 for it, and we offered him 20. He sold it to us. We'll have to get some new hardware as well, but it's been a good dresser for us. (I did ZERO cleaning up for these pictures....call it realism....or laziness....or both if you want. That's how it is.)
This last one is a recent acquisiton. Parker found it at the DI last weekend. We've been checking there almost every week for a headboard for our bed. We've just been on our mattress and frame for 7 years. Parker finally found something suitable....and affordable of course! Twenty bucks for this one. Although we didn't realize at the time that the thing STINKS! It smells like cigarettes. Ick. This is our first priority for painting, so we can get rid of the smell.
There you go! I'll have to make another post once I've spray painted some things white.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Yay!!! (I'm doing a little happy dance!) I was so excited when I saw your topic was spray painting! I'm so glad I'm not the only one addicted!
I am SOO excited to see your dresser and headboard done...but especially your dresser!!
If they're solid wood make sure you sand them down good and use a primer-esp with the stinky headboard...that should take care of the smell!
and if they're laminate, give them a light sanding and DEFINITELY some good primer! :)
Yay for spray paint!! :)

Sarah said...

DARN YOU GUYS!!! You can't get me interested in another craft till I finish the (BIG) craft projects I already have! Bah, now I want to try it!

Demo Kitchen said...

Looks awesome- the hardware really helps make it look brand new!